B&S 5 hp fun power for go-cart

Old 07-29-00, 08:33 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry

I have a go-cart that has the Briggs&Stratton fun power 5 hp engine.
I can't get it to start. I have replaced the spark plug and shaft key, I am getting good fire. I replaced the carb, with a new one and still no luck. I pull and pull and well you get the picture! Any suggestions on what to do next?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-00, 08:52 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Hi:EFord

YEAH! I got the picture...hahaha

If your getting spark at the plug, then your NOT getting fuel. One of the two is missing.

Things to double check:

Remove the spark plug. Attach the plug wire and lay the plug down on the cyclinder head. Be sure the electrode isn't touching anything, only the plug barrel. Pull the starter rope and check for spark.

If there isn't any, check for a ground at the throttle control or kill switch. Check the switch <if there is one> for grounding.
Try another known good plug.

Be positive there is fuel flowing TO the carb. Pull the fuel line off at the carb end and verify fuel flow and rate of flow.

Try quick start. A quick spray into the carb and try starting the engine. If it runs for a brief time, you got spark <but not fuel.> If the engine doesn't start, will you get the picture...hahaha

Post back the results.

TomBartco
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
Small Engine Service and Repair Technician.

Old 08-10-00, 06:49 PM
Visiting Guest
Did this happen all of a sudden or have you noticed the engine's performance dropping off? Does it feel like you have good compression when you're turning it over?

Andy

Old 08-13-00, 05:47 PM
Visiting Guest
Andy,
How do I know what a good compression is?
I get spark and I have tried using starter fluid

Old 08-13-00, 06:23 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Well,You have got my interest and this little Briggs has just got to run.You say you have fire.You are giving it a shot of starting fluid in the throat of the carb and it will not hit it.You do have the choke off for the starting fluid shot, right.The choke will hinder the intake of fluid somewhat.Lets do a poor mans commpression test.Take the air filter off and the metal housing that mounts to the carb.Lay your palm over the carb throat and pull the rope.It should be pulling at your palm pretty hard.If it is not I want to hazard a guess and say that you may have a valve frozen in its seat.With fire,fire at the proper time due to your new key,if nothing else for now starting fluid for fuel and no hit there must be a lack of compression.The first thing,perhaps not the only thing, this will point to is a frozen valve.If you determine you have no compression let us know and we will guide you through the next few steps.........

Old 08-15-00, 06:43 PM
Visiting Guest
EFord,

How's that fun cart running? One of the ways I check for compression is to hold my thumb over the spark plug hole while you crank it over. It should blow your thumb away from the hole. Be sure the spark plug wire isn't near you when you do this. Why did you have to replace the key? As everyone says, with fuel/air, compression, and spark, it should run. But these things all have to happen at the right "time". Again, I'm curious as to how this engine was running before you started to have problems.

Andy

Old 08-17-00, 04:57 PM
Visiting Guest
Hey Andy,
Thanks for the tips. I am away from home right now, but as soon as I get back I will check the compression. The go-cart was running fine, it has set up for a year and now I am trying to get it going again.
I had a "key" and since I had the cover off and was cleaning the fly wheel and Magneto, I figured, what the hey, I would change out the key. There was nothing wrong with the other one, but since I had changed out the spark plug and the carb. cleaned the fly wheel and magneto, why not put in the new key. A friend told me to check for sticking valves or dirty valves? Could this be a reason for not starting? Also, do you know the proper gap setting for the magneto to fly wheel? I bleieve it is .010, but am not certain.
Thanks
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andy:
EFord,

How's that fun cart running? One of the ways I check for compression is to hold my thumb over the spark plug hole while you crank it over. It should blow your thumb away from the hole. Be sure the spark plug wire isn't near you when you do this. Why did you have to replace the key? As everyone says, with fuel/air, compression, and spark, it should run. But these things all have to happen at the right "time". Again, I'm curious as to how this engine was running before you started to have problems.

Andy
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 08-18-00, 06:13 PM
Visiting Guest
EFord,

I don't know mag to flywheel gap. Maybe TomBartCo or Mike could help. If you have a good, fat spark you're probably not too far off. A dirty or sticking valve will definitely cause compression problems. Did you "fog" the engine or spray some oil in the cylinder before you put it away for a year? Another cause for low/no compression would be stuck rings. Let us know how the compression seems when you get back home.
Another question: When you had the flywheel off, did you do any work to the rewind
starter (if it has one)?

Andy

Old 08-18-00, 09:19 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
I have the spec sheet here for coil clearance,it is .010-.014.If you don't have feeler guage a business card is .020.Make sure the magnets are to the armature arms pinning the gauge to the coil arms.Compression check will tell the tale.If you have little or none pull the head and turn engine through.Watch to see that both valves are rising and falling.Also make sure the valves are not wobbling in the guides.No compression will be valves or a broken or frozen ring.Valves stick on these Briggs often.If the valve is stuck spray wd40 into the area of the valve stem and work it until it is free.

Old 09-12-00, 06:49 PM
Visiting Guest
Hey Mike, Andy, Tom,
Thanks for all of your help, I got the kart running! It was a sticking valve. I also had a little throttle problem, but that was no sweat, once I knew I had the problem! I really appreciate you guys helping. Hopefully you guys will never need any help, but if so, I will do my best to assist you.
Once again, Thanks