Stihl 034 super repair advice

Old 01-23-10, 05:17 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Stihl 034 super repair advice

Hi folks,
This is my first visit here and if it is like other forums I am a member of, it will be a great help.
So today I was cutting a tree down for firewood when the saw chain brake suddenly engages in the middle of the backcut!:
I pull the saw free and find that the brake is jammed on and the handle won't release.
I cart it to the shop, get the Jonsered, return to the tree and finish the cut.
Then back to the shop and a little exploratory surgery on the Stihl revealed the rim sprocket is torn at its edge and the brake band is hanging out of the narrow slot between the rim and the saw body.
I removed the rim and was able to slip the brake band back inside. The damaged rim is a problem and I don't know how the brake band is supposed to be attached properly .
My question is can the brake band be serviced with the clutch still attached to the shaft or does the clutch need to come out to service the band.

Old 01-24-10, 12:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Trying to get the band in and out of place can be tough on some models with the clutch on because it's hard to get enough slack in it when it's up against the clutch, but it slips right on and off on other models. I don't recall how easily it goes on with your model, but it shouldn't be any big deal to take the clutch off if need be.

Old 01-26-10, 04:44 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I removed the broken brake band in 2 pieces but it appears it would just lift off it mounting points and slip over the clutch.
Unfortunately the locating pin attached to the inner clutch cover has broken free from its mount which is a molded spot on the cover and that piece has cracked off so the pin will not stay in. I thought about epoxying it back in but I am not confident it would hold up to the stress.
I pulled all the brake stuff off the saw including the brake handle and will run the saw brakeless for now.
I need a used inner clutch cover along with a brake band and rim sprocket, anybody got a cover?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: