Little Wonder Edger leaking oil

Old 11-24-00, 06:48 PM
Visiting Guest
Red face

My recently acquired Little Wonder (ok, I found it in the trash but got it running in five minutes by doing a little TLC on it..lol) Gas edger has all of a sudden started leaking oil. It seems to be coming from the upper finned areas of the cylinder head and running down the back of the motor and on the side a bit. I am using 10W30 oil in there now and probably should switch to SAE30, as that is what this thing recommends.

When I 'recycled' it, it was low on oil. I have since changed it (man it's inconvenient on this engine due to where the drain plug is located) a few times. It seems to run half way decent (now that it has the right spark plug in it..lol).

Was wondering if anyone out there had any tips on how I can "save" or repair this thing. It works pretty well, but I don't fancy an oil trail on the concrete when I use it . Perhaps I'm missing something.

It has a 3.5 HP Briggs and Stratton Horizontal engine. It is approximately a 1995 or 1996 model unit from what I can tell and what I've decoded from the engine on Briggs and Stratton's website.

Thanks for any leads, replies or information.
Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-00, 08:41 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hi:Joe F.

The oil may be coming out the crankcase breather. Should be a rectangle part just under the cylinder head with a short drip hose attached to it.

If oil is coming out of this location, the gasket could be missing or the engine is being over filled with too much oil.

You might need to totally reclean the entire engine, change to a straight 30 weight oil and run the engine until the exact location of the oil leak reappears.

TomBartco
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
Small Engine Service and Repair Technician.
Personal Quote:
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Old 11-25-00, 06:21 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

Hi Tom.

Thanks for the reply. I will check it out come spring time when I have to drain the oil out of the unit again and service it for the season. I have to change over the drain plug to something more convenient that doesn't drain out all over the frame of the edger (poor design).

The oil does seem to be running down the back of it. Perhaps I overfilled it a bit. I thought I put in the required 20Oz of oil. I had saved a bottle that came with my Craftsman mower, this was a perfect 20oz measured bottle. I simply fill it every year and then pour that into the engines, as they all seem to take 20 Oz.

I'll give it a whirl. I'm hoping the cylinder head isn't cracked or some other problem. The unit had virtually no oil in when I got it!

Thanks again.

Old 11-25-00, 12:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Tom I had a look at the unit a few minutes ago. There are two grommets. one is actually in the "block" and appears much the same as a car's PCV/CCV hose would be. The other is on the breather itself, and the two rubber grommet elbows are connected by a metal tube.

I have the parts breakdown from Briggs and Stratton, so I do see the rectangular gasket you are talking about. Perhaps in the spring, I will degrease it again, and have a better look at it to see if it will alleviate the leaking.

For the record, the people at Briggs and Stratton (at their website) have been very helpful. Most of my power equipment has Tecumseh engines, but B&S supports their product well.

Thanks again!
Joe