Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Poulan Chainsaw 2150

TX

01-28-10, 01:06 PM   #1  
Poulan Chainsaw 2150

Putting back together this saw.Found a air leak around the crankshaft cover.What kind of sealer do you use,to seal the cover.I have permatex HIGH-TEMP RTV SILICONE GASKET MAKER.It says not to use on head gaskets or parts that come in contact with gasoline.This being a 2 cycle engine with oil and gas mixed,will not work.

Thanks,
Jerry

Sponsored Links

OK

01-29-10, 07:31 AM   #2  
Go to an auto parts store and ask for an RTV type sealant that is heat, gas and oil resistant. then use it in a very small bead on mating surfaces.

TN

01-29-10, 07:53 AM   #3  
Silicone poisons oxygen sensors. Since you chainsaw has no oxygen sensor, it'll work.

Head gaskets on automobiles need the friction of being tightly sandwiched between the head and block to remain in place as they see high pressure. If you put silicone on them, they lose their adhesion the the head and block. Furthermore, some will squish into cylinder and poison oxygen sensor.

I used it on my Poulan blower that I just rebuilt in the area where the crankcase seals to a plastic plug. The old gasket was shot. Works fine.

TX

01-29-10, 11:42 AM   #4  
Thanks guys for your replies.

Jerry

Search this Thread