Oil Mix- Premeasured?

Old 02-01-10, 11:27 AM
Oil Mix- Premeasured?

I use the squeeze bottle of 2 stroke oil with the measured amount at the top of the bottle. I have noticed that lately, first with a newer blower and now with an older, recently serviced chainsaw, that I have to run with the choke in the "halfway" position. If I switch to "run" it either stalls or does not operate at full speed. I think the measured amount mixes a 40:1 but don't know for sure. Has anyone else run into this problem? Is there something I need to be doing? I hesitate to alter the ratio too much because I don't want to hurt the engine. Thanks for any input from.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-10, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
Most of those bottles have lines for different ratios. If you haven't changed oil and it was working ok before....maybe the gas is old? Have you left gas in it for a long time without running it?

Really..not that I'm a Pro...it sounds like your mixture may be off or your carbs are varnished up or dirty.

Old 02-02-10, 12:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Generally, the half choke thing indicates a carb restriction. Making sure the oil ratio is correct is important, but I doubt it has anything to do with having to run it on half choke.

Old 02-02-10, 07:41 AM
I have a 19 year old Homelite blower that I use at times to blow the salt off my concrete driveway. It's cold here. In cold weather it does not run properly unless I move the choke to the 1/2 position for the first minute or so. Guess it needs to warm up. This has been the modus operandi for a number of years. Once warm, it runs fine in the normal choke setting.

Old 02-02-10, 08:01 AM
The gas isn't too old and this stuff is supposed to have an ingredient to stabilize it. Even after warming up the engines don't run well at any other choke settings. I don't mind looking at the carbs- if I can find them under the air filters- but it seems unusal that two different two strokes, one old and one newer, have the same issue when running off the same tank of premixed fuel. I also added a splash of mystery oil when I mixed this batch- could I have overdone that?

Am I doing any damage running the choke halfway out?

Old 02-02-10, 08:10 AM
What is mystery oil? Wonder if it changes the viscosity such that in cold weather the flow of fuel is impeded through the small holes. Maybe a greater pressure drop is needed to draw the fuel into the venturi region of the carburettor. Closing the choke a little increases the pressure drop.

I would try fresh gasoline properly mixed without the witches brew mystery oil.

Old 02-02-10, 09:48 AM
Try adjusting the carb. the HIGH AND LOW needles.Turn both about a 1/8 of a turn counterclock wise,and see if that helps.

Jerry

Old 02-02-10, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
The gas isn't too old and this stuff is supposed to have an ingredient to stabilize it. Even after warming up the engines don't run well at any other choke settings. I don't mind looking at the carbs- if I can find them under the air filters- but it seems unusal that two different two strokes, one old and one newer, have the same issue when running off the same tank of premixed fuel. I also added a splash of mystery oil when I mixed this batch- could I have overdone that?

Am I doing any damage running the choke halfway out?
Are you talking Marvel Mystery Oil ??

I don't think I would put MMO in 2 cycle mix.
I would try, make new fuel mix, minus MMO, dump old gas out of blowers, put in new mix, if units have primer bulbs, press them about 10+ times to get new mix in units.
Then see what happens,
thanks,

Old 02-03-10, 07:09 AM
Thanks to everyone. No more MMO in my two cycle mix! Any hints on cleaning the carb if a new gas mix and throttle adjustments don't help?

Old 02-13-10, 09:10 AM
One last word on Marvel Mystery Oil: I participate in a few automobile sites regarding fixing brands of sports cars. Recently I found a discussion about adding Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas tank. The postings indicated it indeed will clean your gas tank but be prepared to replace your fuel filter with a high degree of regularity once you've added the MMO. The deposits that cling to the walls of your tank are freed and find their way to the fuel filter, eventually clogging it up. As there is a lot of surface area to the inside of a 20 gallon gas tank, or bigger on inboard boats, there is much 'junk' freed up to clog the filter.

In rebuilding my Poulan blower/vacuum a few months ago I noticed the fuel filter that resides in the fuel tank. It could easily get clogged.

Old 02-13-10, 09:21 AM
With the engine running spray carb/brake parts cleaner behind the carb and along all mating surfaces to see if the engine tempo changes if it does you have an air leak, which is why the choke must be on, if not,
You might try adding Sea Foam to your tank, it will remove some varnish buildup in the carb. If that doesn't help you will probably need to remove the carb and clean it. Have a good one. Geo

Old 02-13-10, 10:00 AM
With an older engine and the ethanol in the fuel, these engines are forced to run lean on the fuel. These I usually can help by turning out both fuel adjustment needles by 1/8 to 1/2 turn.

Old 02-14-10, 07:18 AM
Originally Posted by CAMINO KID View Post
With an older engine and the ethanol in the fuel, these engines are forced to run lean on the fuel. These I usually can help by turning out both fuel adjustment needles by 1/8 to 1/2 turn.
I live in North East Tennessee right on the Virginia border. In the past few months a few gas stations have begun selling gasoline that has no ethanol.

Search this Thread