Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Is this another problem!

NY

02-02-10, 05:25 PM   #1  
Is this another problem!

Good Evening,
First I want to Thank everyone who has helped me & put up with my long posts.
Well I got my snow thrower running today i left the belt cover off just to make sure everything was good & everything looked fine. So I put her in 1st & she seemed to have real good power I went back & forth in the garage with the auger off.
Then I tried her with the auger running & she was doing great I shut her off went inside the house for a while went back out to start her I did not have to prime her (this is important as I did not look at the primer bulb) she started right back up & I let her run with the auger on as I was going to change the auger oil.
After letting her run 15 min. I shut her off tipped her forward drained the auger oil all off two drops sat her back on her handlebars filled her with 3oz. of 90w oil.
I then went to start her & try her on the drive & to my surprise the primer bulb had a pin hole in it right in the center. The engine is a Briggs & Stratton intek snow 7.5 hp that I bought new in 02-03 & put on her model # 12D413 0019E1.
Now I'm not sure if it is just bad luck or the bulb is made this way to blow a hole if there is a problem?. I took her off & put super glue over the hole for now but have not put it back on.
I don't know if the traction belt is to tight? & this is causing it I know when i disengaged the auger belt the auger shut right off or if like I said it's just bad luck.
I looked all over the internet to find this part with no luck. What I did notice when she was running is the oil tube was vibrating a lot but since I never really looked at it before I'm not sure if this is normal. It also seemed to be making a lot of noise like she was running fast but being in the garage I don't know I never start her in the garage.
I do know back in 07 she was racing bad so when I looked at the governor I noticed a spring broke after emailing Briggs & Stratton they sent me a repair manual free so I changed the springs & adjusted her & she ran fine why I say this is back in 07 she was really racing but the primer bulb was fine it did not blow.
So I'm lost as to is this just bad luck or is the bulb made like this to blow a pin hole to prevent damage? & could it be the belt or belts as I said I did not notice when this blew if it happened when I first started her or when I put the auger on or what?.
If anyone has any information on this please let me know? as I never thought a piece of rubber would put me dead in the water. Also I lost the owners manual to the engine so if there is any info in there on this I have no idea I do know the repair manual says nothing about this.
Thank you again!
Will,

Sponsored Links

NH

02-02-10, 06:19 PM   #2  
The primer bulb is supposed to have a pin hole in the middle. The way they work is when you press it, it pushes air into the float bowl causing it to "flood" a little. It needs the pin hole so when you relase it, it will pop back out and suck in air to prime again.

NY

02-03-10, 04:13 AM   #3  
Posted By: indypower1 The primer bulb is supposed to have a pin hole in the middle. The way they work is when you press it, it pushes air into the float bowl causing it to "flood" a little. It needs the pin hole so when you relase it, it will pop back out and suck in air to prime again.
Good Morning,
Thank you again for your help. Yes I have been doing some reading on this & read where some do (Oh Oh cause I glued mine) & some don't.
What I can't figure out is when I took it off glued it she popped right back up. Then last night before I left for work I just hooked the hose to it & the carb & it seemed like it primed gas in the carb but did not try to start her as it was to late.
Anyway I have a doctors apointment today & there is a farm & tractor store out there they have helped me in the past so I'm going to see if they have any. Only problem is I don't have a part number I went on the Briggs & Stratton web site & they don't list it & me losing the owners manual to the engine I don't know if that would of had a part # but did find the engine model # so I guess that is what they will have to use.
I also looked on ebay & there are a ton of them but with out the number ya right.
Well I'll see today & let you know cause if this thing is supose to have a hole in it & it went flat then what could it be!.
Once again Thank you for all your help & wish me luck I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone!. Not to mention I feel like a zombie at work LOL.
Will,

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

02-03-10, 09:09 AM   #4  
Here is a link to the Illustrated Parts List for the engine model you posted. http://www.briggsandstratton.com/mai...=MS6505_LO.pdf
Page 7, item #976-Part#-695750 Primer-Carburetor

There is also a primer-hose item# 528 also on page 7, that needs to be connected properly.

NY

02-04-10, 06:18 AM   #5  
Posted By: BFHFixit Here is a link to the Illustrated Parts List for the engine model you posted. http://www.briggsandstratton.com/mai...=MS6505_LO.pdf
Page 7, item #976-Part#-695750 Primer-Carburetor

There is also a primer-hose item# 528 also on page 7, that needs to be connected properly.
Good Morning,
Wow this is great Thank you very much!. I could not find this anywhere this will be a great help.
Yesterday I went to this farm & tractor store & they did not have them in stock but orderd them I got two $4.00 a piece they should be in tomorrow & I will pick them up & keep them as spares. They did not know what made it collapse but it is supose to have a hole in it & they were surprised that I glued mine up & it came back to life (for lack of a better word).
So anyway I came home but first stopped at a Home Depot out that way just to see no go but did talk to this one guy that was very nice & he said he use to be in snowmobiles & asked me what I was doing when it happened.
I told him I had the gas tank back on but had drained most the gas out I ran it to get the auger oil warm. Then tipped her forward to drain then on her handles to fill her & when I put her back up that is when I noticed it.
He told me that would cause it (I thought I doubt it this is why I'm stupid) he told me pull the plug turn her over a few times clean plug & try it.
Long story short I did what he said then punched a hole in the old one with a nail from the inside as I could see the hole put it back together back on tried it worked fired the snow thrower up ran it back & forth let it run with auger on.
Shut her down went in to sleep then before I left for work last night looked at the bulb still up.
Today I'm going to try her on the driveway so I think that guy knew his stuff & what gets me is no one at Toro dealer wanted to tell me anything or farm & tractor although they do not sell Toro's but do have B&S on there stuff but of all places Home Depot & of course all the help I have recieved from this forum. anyway I can understand Toro as they are hurting right now & need business I wish I could buy a new one if for no other reason to help them out but I can't afford a new one not now anyway.
Anyway Thank you for the Diagram I'm saving it as it will come in very handy.
Will,

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

02-04-10, 07:38 AM   #6  
I did notice in your post that you mentioned tipping the unit...I got caught up in your plight for the primer and forgot.
If the same guy did not tell you to also change the engine oil, since it diluted with fuel, than you should. You can see if it smells of gas or is overfull. Either case I would change it.

Search this Thread