Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

John Deere JX75 transmission

NY

02-04-10, 05:52 PM   #1  
John Deere JX75 transmission

Good Evening,
First Thank you all for helping me with my Toro snow thrower I could have not done it with out all the GREAT help I got from this forum!
Ok now that, that is done I hope I have a John Deere JX75 lawn mower & figure I better get on her since I'm in the mood. I bought her new in 98 & other than changing the brake clutch twice she has been a great running machine.
The trouble I have been having is when I go to pull her backwards the wheels lock up. What I did was to wire up the cable to the clutch arm or shift arm not sure which so that when I release the lever it pulls the arm forward out of gear.
I was doing some reading on this today & came across an old post where someone was having the same problem & someone told him that there is a spring down there that falls off or breaks & that it does not show this part on the John Deere web site sure enough it doesn't.
I have not had a chance to look at her yet but i don't remember seeing this spring on mine it is supose to be under or near the rear belt pulley under the plastic cover.
So my question is does anyone know about these springs? & where they are or where to get them?. This guy was lucky enough that his was still on but broke so he went to an automotive store & got one. Mine is probably ten feet under ground or my German Shepherd found it and ate it or burried it!.
I know there are gears in the rear wheels so I'm going to take them off clean & lube the grease fittings but this spring is something that I never saw before & the wire I have wrapped there does not always do the trick plus I like to do it right.
Thank you for any help or if anyone has any other ideas as I have read that these tranny's are like $400. more than the tranny in my winter rat!
Thank you!
Will,

Sponsored Links

MO

02-04-10, 06:44 PM   #2  
grumpys toy;
First I wouldn't want to upset anyone named grumpy and also don't want to seem rude, however, could you please shorten your posts, I'm an old guy and get confused easily and by the time I get through the post I have to start over again because I have lost the point and by the second pass it's nap time and I must then start all over again, and since I am using a large font(can't see) on a small screen, I must scroll back and forth which causes me to loose my place and as such my diagnosis of you problem could be flawed by my misinterpretation of your problem. Have a good one. Geo

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

02-05-10, 05:50 AM   #3  
Ref item #10...? This spring?

Part#M92029

John Deere - Parts Catalog

NY

02-05-10, 10:06 AM   #4  
Posted By: geogrubb grumpys toy;
First I wouldn't want to upset anyone named grumpy and also don't want to seem rude, however, could you please shorten your posts, I'm an old guy and get confused easily and by the time I get through the post I have to start over again because I have lost the point and by the second pass it's nap time and I must then start all over again, and since I am using a large font(can't see) on a small screen, I must scroll back and forth which causes me to loose my place and as such my diagnosis of you problem could be flawed by my misinterpretation of your problem. Have a good one. Geo
Good Afternoon,
I'm sorry for my posts being so long I too confuse myself & I only type with one finger.
As far as Grumpy goes that's not me it's one of my idols in Drag racing Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins Mr. Chevrolet & the reason for that is I LOVE Chevy's & own a 70 Chevelle SS & a 57 Chevy Bel-air Gasser.
I guess living on a farm makes one lonley so please forgive me for my post & you will never upset me unless u talk bad about Chevy's LOL,
Will

NY

02-05-10, 10:15 AM   #5  
Posted By: BFHFixit Ref item #10...? This spring?

Part#M92029

Good Afternoon,
Once again u come through for me Thank you so very much I did see this sping on the JD web site but was not sure if that was it.
But now that you have replied & I know u know what u are talking about I can move forward I'll have to see if mine is on there or not but I don't recall seeing it & since last night was my Friday (3rd shift our Monday is Sunday night crazy I think we should be 1st shift I'm one of those people that would never work days hate days unless my factory shuts down) I have all night to work on her.
Anyway Thank you again!
Will,

NY

02-05-10, 10:22 AM   #6  
Posted By: BFHFixit Ref item #10...? This spring?

Part#M92029

Oh wait now I'm reading your reply better & it seems like your asking me. See I'm not sure as I don't know where that spring goes to all I know is this old post I read from another forum from 2006 the spring went to the clutch lever & hooked under the pulley.
I also read that on the John Deere web site it was not shown now being from 06 they could of changed it & now show the spring I only wish they would show where that hooks into. That could be it but I'm not sure.
Will,

NY

02-05-10, 01:03 PM   #7  
Posted By: grumpys toy Oh wait now I'm reading your reply better & it seems like your asking me. See I'm not sure as I don't know where that spring goes to all I know is this old post I read from another forum from 2006 the spring went to the clutch lever & hooked under the pulley.
I also read that on the John Deere web site it was not shown now being from 06 they could of changed it & now show the spring I only wish they would show where that hooks into. That could be it but I'm not sure.
Will,
You were right that is it the guy at the John Deere place was not to knowledgeable or did not want to be bothered really don't know but after a few minutes he came around & I asked him if it was the one that hooks to the tranny lever he had to look it up & said yes so I ordered 3 of them as he finally admitted that yes they do break & it is a common problem.
I don't know why he did not want to take the time I bought mine there & where I live it is a half hour drive to the place. I mean these lawn mowers are not cheap i know the thing is almost 11 years old but god does one have to buy one every year.
Another thing is I'm missing #1 on the diagram! I don't understand this I'll have to take a better look but I can not find that thing I can't believe that fell off I know one thing they need to really draw these diagrams better as my hole is on the bottom not where they show it.
Thank you again & sorry for the long post now I'm going to be shell shocked here!. LOL

MO

02-05-10, 04:24 PM   #8  
Posted By: grumpys toy Good Afternoon,
I'm sorry for my posts being so long I too confuse myself & I only type with one finger.
As far as Grumpy goes that's not me it's one of my idols in Drag racing Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins Mr. Chevrolet & the reason for that is I LOVE Chevy's & own a 70 Chevelle SS & a 57 Chevy Bel-air Gasser.
I guess living on a farm makes one lonley so please forgive me for my post & you will never upset me unless u talk bad about Chevy's LOL,
Will
As a young guy, i owned a 57 Belair 2dr hard top, 301, 3spd and a 68 elCamino 327/325hp 4spd. I like chevy, always wanted a 65 nova SS. Have a good one. Geo

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

02-05-10, 05:16 PM   #9  
Now see how much we have learned about each other from these long informal posts

Chevy guy myself, big NASCAR fan

ref item #1 I think is to give the plastic cover that goes over the whole mess some support....? If you still have a cover it may still be there...you just aint lookin in the right place ...
If not I don't think it is detrimental to operation.

Search this Thread