Need help with a Coleman Powermate engine repower

Old 02-04-10, 06:49 PM
Need help with a Coleman Powermate engine repower

I got a Coleman Powermate generator head from a friend model PM0545202.01. I would like to use it to make a spare generator. The only problem I have is the motor. The original motor was a Briggs that had blown & my buddy threw the motor away, so I have no idea what model engine it was other than it was a 10 hp. I would like to put a Tecumseh on it simply because I can pick one up for a fraction of the price of a briggs. I know that Briggs is a better engine, but for the price I'll live with the Tecumseh. From all of the generator engines I see on the web both brands have a 4 11/32 long tapered shaft with a 5/16 threaded hole in the end. The thing I'm worried about is will the generator head bolt up to either engine. I called Powermate Tech line, but forget that they really didn't know what to tell me. The generator this came off was one of the older Powermates that were green in color.
If anyone has any information they could send my way I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-10, 12:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know what engines will repower it, I suspect most with a tapered shaft will. I will suggest staying away from the tecumsehs even more now, since parts are beginning to get hard to find now that tecumseh has gone out of business. What good is an engine you can't buy parts for?

Old 02-05-10, 09:31 AM
Take a look at the Robin/Subaru EX30 engine. I have one on my Coleman Powermate. I know that it doesn't guarantee that it will fit on yours, but I believe it is a very high quality engine.

Do a google search for Small Engine Warehouse... they sell a ton of engines (including generator engines) and they have a re-power section. They might be able to tell you exactly what you need to know.

- Joe

Old 02-05-10, 01:02 PM
briggs was likely a 195437 or 19g412. The 10 hp and 8 hp were much the same but the 10 had a different head to get the 2hp. I can get type number for a 10 as well if you want to use it to look up details.