Toro snowblower with suzuki engine-will not start

Old 02-05-10, 02:13 PM
Toro snowblower with suzuki engine-will not start

Hi Guys
We have a toro snowblower ccr2000 with the suzuki engine-#38180; about 20 years old. It will not fire-rebuilt carb, getting fuel & spark, new clean 2cycle fuel, etc. Was running fine this season, then would not fire.

Tried priming, starter spray-nada.

Compression problem? I'm not that knowledgeable on ring-dings.

Thanks Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-10, 04:13 PM
check for spark. remove the plug, ground it, and pull it over and see if it sparks.

Old 02-06-10, 12:06 PM
well even with somewhat low compression it should fire on starter fluid if it indeed has spark. Changed plug? by checking the plug like Indypower1 suggests to really make sure it has spark. Without having a compression gauge you could improvise with the backyard way of plugging the plug hole with your thumb and pull it over to see if it has good compression, you should have a very hard time holding it back, be careful of the plug wire it"ll get you.
Did you check to see if the plug was wet with fuel after trying to start?
good luck

Old 02-06-10, 02:47 PM
I'm afraid a two stroke is very dependent on compression to the point of wearing your arm out trying to start a low compression engine.

With spark and fuel, think compression.

Old 02-07-10, 01:43 AM
I definitely agree that is why I suggest he check it. You are right not much else left

Old 02-07-10, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the quick reply[s]. Yep, it's got spark, even put in a new plug. I have even primed the cylinder thru the plug hole, tried starting fluid.

I think I'll try modifying an old spark plug with a pressure gauge today and see what happens-should have time to do it before the superbowl.

Thanks, Dave

Old 03-14-10, 12:49 PM
More from dave

Well, I finally got around to doing a compression check on the suzuki ring-ding; not much snow lately, so priorities changed.

60 psi! rats, darn, and other unprintable things. Went a got a brew and got on the forum.

I understand parts for these engines are few between and $$$. Anyone know of a possible engine swap?

Tanks, Dave

ps, its Moose Drool, by Big Sky Brewing