Honda GX160 Recoil bites back problem

Old 02-07-10, 06:28 AM
Question Honda GX160 Recoil bites back problem

I've done something wrong during disassembly/reassembly because now when I pull the recoil, it gets to a stiff point then after pulling harder, it recoils itself and seriously wants to break my wrist from the very strong recoil.
Story...My Water pump got flooded today with some serious heavy rainfall. I decided to disassemble to make sure/remove any water ingress into engine. I took off the main parts to be cleaned i.e. exhaust, carb, manual recoil, recoil cover, cylinder head and valves cover. When I took the head off the two valve rods came out loose.
Anyway, after reassembly I now have this problem. If I take out the spark plug, the engine turns smoothly and the valves seem to rock normally although inspecting the the valves with its cover off, the left valve does appear loose to me, certainly looser than the right.
Have I disturbed the timing somehow or are the rods not inserted correctly or is there a certain position the recoil fits back on? PS During reassembly, all looked clean i.e. no bad water in old oil although some did enter onto the top of the piston through the exhaust I suspect.
Any help appreciated as otherwise I think its a damn good engine and not too old to be ruined.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-10, 10:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the valve looked loose, that's probably the problem or part of it. Adjust the valves to specs. Did you make sure the camshaft and crankshaft were timed properly? Did you remove the flywheel or flywheel bolt?

Old 02-07-10, 04:17 PM
Hello,
Thank you for the reply.
I made no adjustment to the valve as it had been operating perfectly (almost new unit), when re-inserting the pins, I manually pushed the spring in to operate the valve and slipped the pin in the slot. I have not taken off the flywheel or flywheel bolt. I do not know how to time the camshaft and crankshaft properly as I assumed it meant taking off the flywheel and side of engine which I wasn't prepared to do at the time.
I think you must be close to concluding my inexperience/inability. Thanks again.

Old 02-07-10, 05:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Oh, if you didn't remove the engine sump cover, then the camshaft timing is nothing to worry about. If you had the head off, the valve clearances should be reset. I would start there. Set the engine to top dead center, then using a feeler gauge, set the clearances between the valves and rocker arms to .005".

Old 02-08-10, 02:33 AM
Adjusting the valve clearances was the problem. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Old 02-09-10, 01:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it. Thanks for the update!