Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

John Deere pinion gear!

NY

02-07-10, 10:06 AM   #1  
John Deere pinion gear!

Good afternoon,
I'll try to keep this short.
I have a JD JX75 & took the pinion gear off the rear shaft first I had to remove the snap ring then there is a washer then the pinion gear. One side no problem other side rusted why well the plastic shield that keep grass & crud out was broken. Now this pinion gear has groves inside of it it's like a ramp that the shaft key (spring operated) rides up the ramp & drops into a grove in the gear.
Got it out cleaned it all up now I'm ready to put her back together. What I would like to know is does anyone think it would hurt to put a little tranny fluid or power steering fluid some kind of lubricant inside the pinion gear? Reason being is without this shat key riding up & down it's a bear to pull back the mower & I really do not trust the plastic shields
Or if anyone can come up with anything else I just don't want it to be to thick of a lubricant.
Thank you!
Will,

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

KS

02-08-10, 08:27 AM   #2  
Hi Grumpy

I am not certain about your exact mower but similar ratcheting type wheels/drives n such I have found to keep dry.
Specifically transmission or power steering fluids are not lubricants they are hydraulic fluids and as such are corrosive. Ever spilled brake fluid on a painted fender....?

Besides the tension and resistance in any lubricant you might use, it also collects and holds dirt/debris/grass....etc.

You can soak the keys and parts (not plastic) in some tranny fluid to help in cleaning, but then I would wipe and let dry.

Search this Thread