Briggs and Stratton 18.5 HP

Old 02-04-10, 11:56 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Briggs and Stratton 18.5 HP

I have an 18.5 HP V-Twin Briggs that I am working on for an elderly neighbor. They were using it and it started to rev up and then back fired and shut down. I noticed the fuel lines were in bad shape and replaced them along with fuel filter. I removed the valve covers and both exhaust push rods had came off. I checked to see if the rods were bent and they appear OK. I replaced the rods and gaped both the exhaust and intake rockers. The engine started immediately but was running away. I followed the instructions on resetting the governor and problem still exists. I noticed when I move the throttle very slow the linkage on carb moves fast and drops wide open. I believe the throttle cable is bad or throttle plate needs to be replaced. Any ideas.

Old 02-05-10, 12:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Can you reach down to the throttle on the carb and turn it by hand to get it to slow down?

Old 02-08-10, 06:25 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cheese
Can you reach down to the throttle on the carb and turn it by hand to get it to slow down?
Yes, I believe there may be a spring missing from the governor arm. If I pull the governor arm back the engine will run slow and I can control the throttle. There are 2 springs on it now and if I place a spring on the front it seems to slow it down but it still is not running properly.

Old 02-09-10, 01:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
The spring should be trying to hold the throttle open, and the governor will push against the spring tension to achieve the desired rpm. If you can rev the engine wide open and you feel no resistance from the governor, then the governor isn't working. This would be due to either internal failure or mis-adjusted governor arm. Since it just happened during normal operation, I would suspect internal failure of the governor. It's probably a cheap repair but a little time consuming, depending on what went wrong inside.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: