Craftsman snowblower 536881800 -Breaking bolts

Old 02-08-10, 09:09 AM
Craftsman snowblower 536881800 -Breaking bolts

We have a problem with our snowblower -- it keeps breaking the bolt ( part #653 according to the drawings). While using the snowblower it will stop going forward or reverse-- even though it keeps running. We took off the bottom cover and found a broken broken bolt that goes in the axel that helps propel the wheels. We replaced the bolt and it snappped again after about 2 hours of using the snowblower-- can anyone tell me why this would happen?
We are in Northern VA and are expecting 5-10 more inches on Tues/Wed to go with the 26 inches we alread have.

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-10, 10:39 AM
What did you use for a replacement bolt? The 01X193MA from Sears or 1 from the hardware store? The oringinal is a hardened bolt(grade 8) (Sears $2.65). A hardware store bolt ( 50 cents) is a soft bolt (grade 2 or 5). You need the correct hardened grade 8 bolt. Most hardware stores carry grade 8 bolts. Just ask them.

Old 02-08-10, 05:28 PM
Yes we did use a bolt from the hardware store -- as Sears was closed due to the weather -- I will try the correct bolt-- but I'm still wondering what would cause the original bolt to snap-- it was not rusted and the machine has only been used 4 times( less that 10 hours). What would cause the bolt to keep breaking??

Old 02-14-10, 07:16 AM
I am having the same problem with the same model. First time it broke within the first year and still under warranty so I had it fixed by Sears. I assume they used the specified bolt. That bolt broke the next winter. Since it was no longer under waranty I began purchasing bolts at the local hardware store which all broke. I just purchased a grade 8 bolt and will wait to see how it does. But I have to believe there is something wrong this machine. Unless Sears put the wrong bolt in when it was assembled and again when they fixed it under warranty.