Craftsman LT2000 18.5 B&S Intech won't start

Old 02-08-10, 12:25 PM
Craftsman LT2000 18.5 B&S Intech won't start

I have a 4 year old Craftsman LT2000 18.5hp B&S Intech tractor mower that will no longer start. I was having a little bit of difficulty getting it started the day before. It took some time to get the engine going which I attributed to old gas. Later that day I had more difficulty getting it started, this time it seemed more like a battery issues as I wasn't even getting a click from the starter.

I left in the lawn that night and was going to tackle the issue the next day. It rained all morning while I slept, which I don't believe to be a good thing. I ran out there and pushed it into my shed. 2 days later, today, I attempted to start it again, and I get a repeating clacking noise from the right side of the control panel, next to the blade height lever.

I fear I've likely busted something from being in the rain, but I'm no mechanic so I really don't know what to start looking at/for.

Any help is appreciated.

Serial #'s on the engine :
Family : 5BSCS.5012VP 276016

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-10, 02:08 PM
I'd start with charging & load testing the battery... Any auto garage or most parts stores can do this for you... Roger

Old 02-08-10, 02:59 PM
I have a charger, but no load checker. I'll give it a full charge and see how it goes. Would it be making that noise if the battery wasn't working properly? It's the original battery when I purchased the mower new.

Old 02-09-10, 01:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yep, sounds like low voltage causing the solenoid to chatter. If the battery is over 2 years old, it's probably time for another.

Old 02-09-10, 02:51 AM
I am trying to keep all my batteries this winter on a trickle charge, tired of these cheap batteries lasting only 2 years or so, will see if this helps.

Old 02-09-10, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
Yep, sounds like low voltage causing the solenoid to chatter. If the battery is over 2 years old, it's probably time for another.
I did a slow charge overnight and it started right up. If I continue to have trouble I'll replace the battery. Thanks for everyone's help!

Old 02-09-10, 03:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad we could help, thanks for the update!

Search this Thread