Auger shear bolt substitute

Old 02-08-10, 09:53 PM
Auger shear bolt substitute

I have a Honda 2 stage snowblower, HS 828, and having one hell of a time finding replacement shear bolts for the auger...6mm x 16mm. My local Honda authorized dealers seem to be out of them. Is there a substitute I can get from another source, like Lowes or Home Depot, to work just as well? I understand these things are meant to break at a certain threshold, but there's got to be something more readily available. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thank you very much

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-10, 05:44 AM
I had the same temptation

I have a Honda WAS928 that needed a shear bolt. Fortunately I was able to get ripped off by my local Honda dealer. I bought all he had, after a 3 hour drive to get 3 miles in our snowy traffic. The auger bolt was $7.00, the blower bolt was $9.00 and each nut was $4.00. I paid over $77.00 for four auger bolts and two blower bolts with nuts.

Advice- go on line and buy there. The auger bolts were $.74 or $.72 depending on which of two sites I went to. Shipping is expensive but I ordered 10 auger bolts with cheap nuts for $25.00, delivered. They can do overinght delivery at an extra charge. Probably wouldn't be as expensive as going to the dealer.

BTW, my model snowblower was just recalled for fuel tank leaks. Mine is older than the recalled units.