Yard Machines Snow thrower drive wheels do not disengage

Old 02-09-10, 07:52 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yard Machines Snow thrower drive wheels do not disengage

I've got an older Yard Machines snow thrower, I believe the model is 31AE665E118 (10hp Tecumseh, 5 forward speeds, 2 reverse speeds).

It's been working fine, still starts on the first pull everytime. I noticed today the drive wheels do not disengage when the drive lever is released. They continue to idle, not enough to move the machine on it's own, but enough to turn the drive wheels if the rear of the machine is lifted off the ground. It also is very difficult to roll the machine around when the drive lever is released, it's obvious the whole drivetrain is turning when you're trying to roll it around.

The drive cable has slack in it when released and I plan to remove the lower housing cover to give everything a visual (cables, friction wheels, gears, etc) --- has anybody run into this before?

Old 02-09-10, 08:18 AM
You will most likely find the return spring is broken or gone. They rust, break, and many times fall out. The spring number is 732-0264

Old 02-09-10, 05:08 PM
H
Hello to everyone. I am a reporter in the local area, and frequent this site to find out what is going on in SoWal. This is a great tool to use, it helps me to keep up with what concerns the residents here. If you have anything specific you would like me to know, feel free to send me a message.

Thanks

Old 02-09-10, 07:33 PM
could be the interconnection with the auger drive . Mine was designed so that the drive lever will hold down the auger lever. That mechanism got screwed up and would not let drive lever disengage completely. The mechanism is on top between handles under a cover with a rod going between the levers

Old 02-09-10, 07:35 PM
J
Same Problem

Check out my one and (so far) only other post. You have broken a bolt. It is an easy fix, but you have to have the right part. I think it is either P/N 01x193ma or 15x145ma. Remove the bottom cover and you will find a broken bolt inside. You may find a spring floating around in there too; at least I did.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: