Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Snowblower w/ Tecumseh HSSK 50 stalls after 20 min

02-10-10, 11:15 AM   #1  
Snowblower w/ Tecumseh HSSK 50 stalls after 20 min

Hi. Here in Harrisburg PA we're having 2nd 15"+ snowstorm in five days. Yay.

Last week, my MTD blower started right up, let it warm up for 3 min, then blew snow fine, except when not under load, engine surged up and down a little. After about 20 min, noticed it was losing power under load, finally stalled.

Checked a couple small engine forums, including DIY, saw one recommendation to try running on one of the partial choke settings. Tried this and it ran well enough to finish blowing. It did not surge up and down with the partial choke.

Then followed recommendations on DIY and checked/cleaned ports on main screw on bottom of carb. Bowl looked very clean, gas clean (always use fuel stabilizer). Checked carb settings, although other than lo and fast idle speeds, not much you can adjust.

Today, it started and ran like a champ, better than last week, no choke needed while running, plenty of power under load. 20 min in, again started losing power, was surging up and back a little at fast idle, and finally stalled--took a primer push to restart but would not run on any setting (partial or no choke) after startup.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Blower and engine info below.

MTD Snowblower 22" 5 HP:
Model 314-611D129 (underneath that number is 626-739)
SN 1K042B30090

Tecumseh Engine:
Meets Calif 2006 & US EPA PHII
Model HSSK50
Spec 67404T
DOM 02297CE0194
Eng Family 2TPXS.1951BF
Disp 195cc

Sponsored Links

02-10-10, 12:54 PM   #2  
Update: waited 2 hours for engine to cool. Started right up again, this time only ran ~5 min before stalling.

TX

02-10-10, 01:19 PM   #3  
Try loosing your gas cap,see if that helps.Gas cap not venting causing a vacuum,and stopping the flow of gas.If so replace the cap.Hope this helps.

Jerry

MA

02-10-10, 01:27 PM   #4  
gas cap may not be venting, loosen cap a bit while it is stalling out and see if keeps running. If that does not do it it is your carb. You have an emissions carb so the cleaning of the bowl jet is probably not the the main culprit as is on older carbs. there is a idle restrictor screw on the side behind a plastic cover. Pull this out and clean out the tip (very fine hole) the o-rings on the main nozzle are probably shot and need to be replaced PN# 632547 (2). the complete rebuild kit is PN# 632760B which will have the o-rings.

02-10-10, 02:22 PM   #5  
Thanks, guys. I saw in another thread about cap vent. I checked the cap and I can't see a vent hole anywhere. The inside of the cap has an inverted metal disk mounted on a small plastic center post--looks like that won't come off w/out damaging something. But there is no hole on the outside or bottom edge of the cap that I can see. Any risk in drilling a tiny hole in the cap?

Re. the idle screw, I'll give that a shot. Probably won't get to a dealer to get the o-rings or rebuild kit today! SmallEngineGuy, this blower is about 7 years old but very lightly used--not too many hard winters in southcentral PA. How often are these o-rings and/or a rebuild kit typically needed? I'm pretty meticulous about off-season storage, oil changes, and such.

Another thread mentioned checking fuel flow. I put a container under carb and pressed drain plug, got continual fuel flow (more than just draining bowl). Checked the container and noticed a bead of water at bottom of gas. Might have already been in the container, as it was sitting by door while it was open and snow was drifting in. To be sure, I'm gonna drain tank, pull fuel line at tank and carb, and blow it out.

I'll give it a try again after that and report back. Thanks again for all your help guys!!!

NH

02-10-10, 04:30 PM   #6  
Another not quite so comon cause on snowblowers is the coil heats up and looses its connections. This is more common on lawnmowers & lawn tractors as the outside temp is hotter. But it can happen on a snowblower, too.

02-11-10, 11:56 AM   #7  
smallengineguy, jsouth, indypower1: Followed all the suggestions and got the SB running today. Ran fine with choke off, even got plowage cleared, and driveway is melting and drying as I write this. It did stall once, but I let it cool down, then it ran fine while I finished. Will pick up a rebuild kit and give that a try.

Thanks to all of you!!!

PA

02-12-10, 07:30 AM   #8  
Tecumseh engine stalling

Hey everyone. I too had the same problem with this "wonderful" Tecumseh motor. It would run for a while and then sputter and stop. I asked my local repair guy and he said to try loosening the gas cap. Well it worked!!! Saved a bunch of money in pickup and repair of the snowblower. I suppose I'll just have to purchase another gas cap before the next storm here in PA.

Search this Thread