MTD 2-stage snow thrower

Old 02-19-10, 11:51 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
MTD 2-stage snow thrower

Model 317E642E120 recently bought used in good condition. Owners manual says the drive clutch is also an auger lock, however that doen't work. I can't seem to locate any locking mechanism related to the drive clutch. Does anyone know how this would lock?
Thanks for the help.
Bob

Old 02-19-10, 03:18 PM
It is complicated and extremely difficult to get to. The locking mechanism is located under the dash panel. They only give you 2 slots that are about 2" wide x 4" long to work thru. Each side has a cam on rod. These cams need to interlock with each other. Very difficult to get 2 fingers in the slots to move the cams into position especially doing it from underneath. I would send you to the MTD site, but they have changed the site and now you can no longer look at a parts manual there.

Old 02-19-10, 06:28 PM
i never used that interlock because I like to hold auger down all the time but stop and start the wheels. I figure stopping and starting auger just wears stuff out. My interlock then screwed up and wouldn't let the wheels disengage or engage right so I took it apart. The dashc cover comes off to expose it I think

Old 02-20-10, 05:11 AM
S
Thanks for the replies guys. I assume that when you say dash panel, you are referring to the panel that runs between the handles, holding the headlight housing. Is this correct or am I mistaken?
Thanks again!

Old 02-20-10, 05:48 AM
Originally Posted by shanny
Thanks for the replies guys. I assume that when you say dash panel, you are referring to the panel that runs between the handles, holding the headlight housing. Is this correct or am I mistaken?
Thanks again!
Yes, that is the dash panel I am talking about.

Old 02-20-10, 07:36 AM
Here is a link to an MTD built Sears snowblower. The cam mechanism is the same.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...0044450&blt=06

Old 02-20-10, 07:42 AM
S
Indy, when you said parts manual on MTD site not sure if you are referring to IPL, you can still view it but not exactly promoted well. To get to IPL:
1) enter model number
2) when parts list comes up click on "view" (far right) of 1st part
3) almost invisibly a small menu will appear just above that with a drop down list of all the components of the machine.

Hope this helps

Old 02-21-10, 04:54 AM
S
Thanks to everyone for the replies, but I must say that I am a complete idiot!
Having looked over my unit extensively, examined online illustrations and studied my operators manual, I finally came across the reason for my inability to find what I was seeking.
My model simply does not have that feature. There it was, although in small print, that feature was on model 644.
I'm sorry to have troubled you all, but again I do thank you for your assistance.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: