Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman snow blower mod # 536.881851 * 8.5 hp issues

02-13-10, 11:24 AM   #1  
Craftsman snow blower mod # 536.881851 * 8.5 hp issues

Hi,
I was going to buy a used Craftsman 8.5 hp snow blower, started to read the neg. comments and was concerned.
Model 536.881851
There was a lot of comments about it dying out under a load.
I went and looked and just could not turn it down, it was like new.
I shared my concerns with the seller, he said he had all the same issues as everyone posted. he also had it REPAIRED.

The problem was.
A GASKET WAS TO LARGE, IT BLOCKED THE FUEL LINE AND NEEDED TO BE REPLACED.
Gas was able to trickle into the line, but once it started it would run out (empty the fuel line) which was what was happening to just about everyones add I read.

I got it home, used it in around 12" - 16" of snow and had no issues what so ever.

He paid someone $120 to replace the gasket.

I AM VERY HAPPY I BOUGHT THIS UNIT, WELL WORTH THE MONEY.

TO BAD SEARS DID NOT HONOR OR FIGURE OUT THIS PROBLEM.

Hope this helped everyone.

Chuck

Sponsored Links

Non-US

02-13-10, 09:01 PM   #2  
I really don't know what gasket would block the fuel line as they are just hoses & clamps from the fuel tank to the carb..No gaskets in the fuel flow that I'm aware of,, But if it works good,, Thats all that matters, Your not shovelling snow anymore,, Right??? Roger

02-15-10, 07:11 PM   #3  
theres no gasket like that....!!!

NY

02-21-10, 03:55 PM   #4  
Where is the gasket?

Could you please tell me exactly which gasket was replaced. I have the exact same problem. I tried everthing that I could find that was posted. I used fresh gas, loosened the gas cap, blew out the carberator, cleand all fuel lines, changed spark plugs (by the way, the manual says to use Champ RJ19LM, but the part number is for Champ RC12YC, tried both), ran it until it stalled, pulled plug and checked for spark (there is spark). There is a seat in the carberator where the needle sits to stop the flow of gas into the bowl, it that it? You can email me at [email protected].

Thanks for any help.

NY

01-11-11, 01:30 PM   #5  
I tried everything that was suggested to me from the carberator to the gas cap. I contacted Briggs & Stratton and they said to loosen the gas cap. I cleaned it and tried running it with the gas cap loose and that didn't work. They even sent me a new gas cap. Nothing I tried worked. I had another person contact me he said he moved the spring for the govener to a new location so there is less pressure on the govener spring and that solved his problem (see below from Bill).

I replaced a small seal inside the carberator bowl. It's a very small "O" shaped seal about the size of a pencil eraser. It's the seal where the float needle valve sits in. While I had the carberator apart I adjusted the screw on the throttle. I turned the screw to the right (clockwise) about 1/4 turn. I think this was the problem. My snow blower worked fine with the last snow. No problem. Before I had very little control on the choke knob. I had to almost leave it on choke all the time to get it to run. Now I have more control with the knob.

Email From Bill K.-I tried to install the new gas tank today and unfortunatly I had the same problem with the stalling out under a load. So while I had the original gas tank off of the engine, I decided to move the spring for the govener to a new location. So what happened in essence is there is less pressure on the govener spring so luckilly enough I had plenty of snow to remove on my driveway to test out the snow thrower. To my supprize the machine did not stall out once. I had it running for 2 hours. So I feel that all along there was nothing wrong with the carberator, gas cap, sears rediculous recall on the machine or ignition coil.

Search this Thread