Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

T60-G propane Regulator

WA

02-13-10, 10:27 PM   #1  
T60-G propane Regulator

Ordered this T60-G propane Regulator to replace an older Garretson S2.
The directions state I need to hook up water or oil to provide heat to the unit? I am Not happy about this.
The S2 did not require this... Is this oil or water hookup nessasary?

Or, Is there another regulator I can use for a 18 HP Briggs Stratton?

Sponsored Links

Non-US

02-14-10, 09:21 PM   #2  
There should be repair kits for your Garretson unit available, isn't there??? I've rebuilt lots of older regulators, trip/alarm guages, process control regulators & with a bit of searching was able to find parts.. Did you search the Net for a repair kit???? Roger

WA

02-15-10, 10:07 AM   #3  
Posted By: hopkinsr2 There should be repair kits for your Garretson unit available, isn't there??? I've rebuilt lots of older regulators, trip/alarm guages, process control regulators & with a bit of searching was able to find parts.. Did you search the Net for a repair kit???? Roger

I thought about that.... but some people told me my S2 regulator was pretty old & outdated. Plus the purging button is frozen or rusted & it will not move at all. Would a rebuild kit fix this?

Somebody advised me not to worry about hooking up heat to the new regulator unless it freezes up on me.
But will this particular Regulator (T-60) operate properly even during warmer seasons?
The info supplied in the T-60 box states:

"The primary diaphragm breather is vented to secondary chamber so that rupture of this diaphragm would direct fuel into the carburetor. With this reduction in pressure and removal of heat from surrounding area expansion and vaporization of fuel takes place, creating a refrigerating action. To offset this condition, heat must be supplied to continue vaporization in relationship to fuel demand made by the engine."

If Water or oil is needed for this regulator does anyone know of a different regulator to replace my old S2?

Thank you

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-15-10, 10:36 AM   #4  
Is the briggs a vanguard? If so, it likely has plugged oil ports that you could use for oil lines to circulate through the regulator. I'm not familiar with regulators, but I wouldn't have guessed that a small engine would draw fuel fast enough to allow freezing of the regulator. Maybe I'm wrong. From what you posted, it sounds like the risk of freezing is only when the diaphragm ruptures?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

WA

02-25-10, 10:08 PM   #5  
I hooked up the new T60 regulator and it is indeed frosting up!
Is this going to be a major problem?

Search this Thread