Carlisle Snow Hog tires

Old 02-15-10, 12:24 PM
Carlisle Snow Hog tires

Good Afternoon,
I put a brand new pair of Carlisle Snow Hog tires on my snow thrower as I heard these are a very aggressive tire before this she had the original Toro tires with chains.
I was told by the Toro place that with these tires I do not need chains & as a matter of fact they hurt the traction!.
Well today was the first time out with them & we live on a very steep hill I found that I really had to push the thrower up the driveway as she was wandering from side to side.
So my question is should I put chains on these tires? & will they HURT the traction?. The tires were trying to bite but just slipping I see where they sell chains for these tires.
Thank you!
Will,

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-10, 03:58 PM
Put the chains on them,,If they clear the body of the snowblower they won't hurt the traction or tractor at all. As an example some Provinces here allow Studs in snow tires.. Also if you really need the traction in addition to the chains, take the tires to the local industrial tire store & have a calcium solution put in them... This makes them really heavy & the weight isn't on the axles...THAN it'll pull up your hill!!! Roger

Old 02-15-10, 05:07 PM
You will need to find the correcxt chains for snowhog tires. Regular chains will NOT work on these tires as the chain will fall between the tread. You need "X" style chains. Instead of going straight across the tread like this: ----, they form an X.

Just to show what they look like, here is a link to an ebay seller:
Snowblower Chains to fit XTrac & Snow Hog 15x500x6 tire - eBay (item 110494711918 end time Feb-24-10 10:34:11 PST)

Old 02-16-10, 05:55 PM
I assume the axle is locked so that both wheels are driving , not just one?

Old 02-17-10, 03:47 AM
Originally Posted by hopkinsr2 View Post
Put the chains on them,,If they clear the body of the snowblower they won't hurt the traction or tractor at all. As an example some Provinces here allow Studs in snow tires.. Also if you really need the traction in addition to the chains, take the tires to the local industrial tire store & have a calcium solution put in them... This makes them really heavy & the weight isn't on the axles...THAN it'll pull up your hill!!! Roger
Good Morning,
Thank you for this information I will have to call around to find out about this calcium solution as I have never heard of this!. I sent an email to Carlisle & they said that I should not put chains on these tires & should go to a more aggressive tread I just bought these Snow Hogs & thought they were aggressive I'm not about to replace them. I just don't understand why diffrent ones are telling me not to put chains on her!.
Will,

Old 02-17-10, 03:54 AM
Originally Posted by indypower1 View Post
You will need to find the correcxt chains for snowhog tires. Regular chains will NOT work on these tires as the chain will fall between the tread. You need "X" style chains. Instead of going straight across the tread like this: ----, they form an X.

Just to show what they look like, here is a link to an ebay seller:
Snowblower Chains to fit XTrac & Snow Hog 15x500x6 tire - eBay (item 110494711918 end time Feb-24-10 10:34:11 PST)
Good Morning,
Thank you for your help I contacted that seller as I did not see a size for my tire he gave me a 1-800 number to call as he has them.
Having said this a few days ago I sent an email to Carlisle they got back to me & said "I should not put chains on these tires" & that I should go with a more aggressive tread. First I thought this was an aggressive tread & second I'm not going to buy another set of tires I just don't know why diffrent ones are telling me this.
Will,

Old 02-17-10, 03:59 AM
Super Moderator
I too am considering chains but one downside I can see is that they will put considerably more strain on the drive components.

I think mfrs believe chains will apply more power to the ground that what the machines were designed for.

Old 02-17-10, 04:01 AM
Originally Posted by 38racing View Post
I assume the axle is locked so that both wheels are driving , not just one?
Good morning,
Thank you for your help & yes both wheels are locked as I put a new axle & wheels on her just over a month ago. The only thing I did not do was to replace both wheel bearings as they only had one in stock at that time & I needed her to do her job. So maybe I should get the other wheel bearing but I know with the 30 plus year old original Toro tires & chains she came right up the driveway & I had done nothing to the wheel bearings.
Will,

Old 02-17-10, 04:10 AM
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
I too am considering chains but one downside I can see is that they will put considerably more strain on the drive components.

I think mfrs believe chains will apply more power to the ground that what the machines were designed for.
Good morning,
Thank you for your help see the place where my late father bought the snow thrower is no longer there but at that time 1978 they put the chains on & it was a Toro dealer & as I said in the other reply I never had any trouble coming up the driveway with her then.
I also sent an email to Carlisle tires & they got back to me & said they don't recommend putting chains on there tires & told me maybe I should go with a more aggressive tread! I thought there Snow Hogs were aggressive & am not going to buy another set of tires when these are just a month old. I don't understand why there against chains the snow thrower lasted 30 plus years with them on & is still going strong.
Will,

Old 02-17-10, 06:16 AM
Grumpy, what was the surface like when the machine slid side to side? Rubber will grab on pavement but no matter how "aggressive" the tread is rubber is not going to grab ice or extremely hard packed snow. Especially uphill with those conditions you will need chains to dig in and grab. 1st storm of the year, powdery snow the hogs would go right up.

Old 02-17-10, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by smallengineguy View Post
Grumpy, what was the surface like when the machine slid side to side? Rubber will grab on pavement but no matter how "aggressive" the tread is rubber is not going to grab ice or extremely hard packed snow. Especially uphill with those conditions you will need chains to dig in and grab. 1st storm of the year, powdery snow the hogs would go right up.
Good afternoon,
The surface was hard & packed see on one side of our driveway we get a drift that is unbelievable to about the halfway point of the driveway & of course the plow does a nice job of plowing the bottom of the driveway with hard packed ice & snow.
I try to do it before I drive or should I say side down it with my vehicle but sometimes working third shift & not wanting to wake the neighbours I don't get that chance but I know the next morning I have to do it before I can get my vehicle back up her.
So I'm going to go with the chains I really did not want to but since they worked for over thirty years I'm going to have to I guess I'm just leery since that old chain came off that night & jammed my impeller but I guess that was due to them being so old. Believe it or not the shear pins broke & are still broke but are so rusted they held & since the old Toros have that big drum I'm not looking forward to replacing them.
Thank you for your help!.
Will,