Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Difference? H80 or HM80??

Non-US

02-15-10, 04:35 PM   #1  
Difference? H80 or HM80??

Hi guys,, I have an "Elderly" snowblower for sale that is in amasing shape with a Tecumseh H80 engine on it that runs like new.. A gentleman looked @ it & said he was told that the H80 engine was a poor design with alumunim bore, bushings etc & the HM80 on the other machine he's looking at somewhere else has a steel bore, roller bearings, etc.. He's offering me 1/2 of my asking price for the snowblower because of the engine & I think he's trying to pull a fast one...(The electric start is worth more than what he offered).. What is the difference in the H80 & the HM80 tecumsehs??? To me they look the same inside & out??? Thanks lots,, Roger

Sponsored Links

MA

02-15-10, 05:08 PM   #2  
I am not an expert but will give me 2 cents. To my knowledge none have roller bearings. H represents horizontal, HM represents Horizontal medium block. some have cast iron bores some do not, depends on spec #. Now a HH is Horizontal - Heavy duty and would automatically have a cast iron sleeve. Sounds like he is posturing. I sell lots of used machines and have never gotten a premium due to a cast iron sleeve, though I do point it out as a selling feature.

NH

02-15-10, 05:22 PM   #3  
Roger, here are some codes:
H = Horizontal Shaft
HS = Horizontal Small Frame {engine}
HM = Horizontal Medium Frame {engine}
HHM = Horizontal Heavy Duty {cast iron} Medium Frame {engine}
HH = Horizontal Heavy Duty {cast iron}
I,too, have never seen any of these engines with roller bearings. Hell, even your cars do not come with roller bearings unless it is a super high performance engine. I don't think even a Corvette has roller bearings.
Your H, HS, HM engines on a snowblower NOT have cylinder liners.

MO

02-15-10, 06:10 PM   #4  
Maybe the guy was thinking of the Tec 2-cycles with roller bearings, most likely just BS'n to try to get the price down. Have a good one. Geo

Non-US

02-15-10, 10:45 PM   #5  
Thanks guys,, I'll stick to my guns & let him kick the tires.. If the other unit is better because of the "HM" on it, he can go there...I'm almost thinking there isn't another unit as he's way too agressive on trying to buy mine,,,He's Just not spending the Money!!!! Thanks lots .... Roger

Search this Thread