Toro 524 shear bolts

Old 02-17-10, 10:59 AM
Toro 524 shear bolts

Afternoon,
My 78 Toro snow thrower as u know needs the shear bolts replaced there broke but holding I'm thinking due to rust.
Having said this who knows how long so my question is since this machine has that big drum with the holes to get to the bolts & since I know they will not just fall out.
My question is I have been using that Kryoil on them what is the best way or tool to use to bang them out?. It looks like it's going to have to be a long tool with some kind of point or dull end that will be able to get to them?

Also I have a lot of rust on the inside of my chute & have read that this should be sanded down so the snow will shoot out better as she clogs up every now & then.
So is it worth it to sand the rust inside the chute or is this a waiste of time?.
Thank you for your time!.
Will,

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-10, 12:38 PM
The drums on the old Toros make it a royal pain in the a$$ to change. I just rotate the drum so that the hole is facing forward. Then I use a long punch & hammer and drive out the old shear pin. Then I install the new shear pin in the hole, and turn the drum so the pin head is on the up side. Now you have to have 2 sockets with short extensions, 1 with a rachet, the other just a breaker bar and a deep socket. I then put the nut in the deep socket and get it started on the threads. Then I use the rachet to tighten it.
Depends on how badly rusted the chute is. Peobably worth it to sand off the loose rust. Sparying the chute with WD40 will help when blowing the snow.