Snowblower dies under a load

Old 02-24-10, 03:07 PM
Snowblower dies under a load

I have a Craftsman 22" 5HP snowblower with a Tecumseh Engine (Sears model # 143.045003) that starts and runs fine until it is under a load where it stalls. The carb is not adjustable, I have disassembled and cleaned it thinking it may have been a lean condition. This did not help. The compression is 80 PSI while cranking with the electric starter. I am not sure what the compression should be. Any ideas? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-10, 04:08 PM
80 lbs compression is fine. Problem is the main jet (bolt on the bottom of the carb) is clogged. There are 2 holes in the jet. The bigger hole is very visable. The smaller hole is waht causes the problems as they are overlooked due to they can not easily bee seen. This smaller hole is located in the threads and is only a tiny pin hole.

Old 02-24-10, 06:25 PM
Thanks. When I had the carb apart, I saw 2 small holes at the bottom of the jet below the threads, and I cleaned them out with wire and carb cleaner. I will check again tomorrow
Thanks again for the help.

Old 02-25-10, 11:15 AM
No good

Well, I found the other hole near the theads, and it did seem to be partially plugged. I cleaned it out, and the problem is still there. Any other ideas?

Old 02-25-10, 12:03 PM
Try running it with the gas cap loose. Could have a clogged vent.

Old 02-25-10, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by indypower1 View Post
Try running it with the gas cap loose. Could have a clogged vent.
I tried that as well. No good.
Thanks.

Old 02-25-10, 05:02 PM
possibly plugged fuel line which won't flow extar amount need when under load.

Old 02-25-10, 05:38 PM
The two most common problems with this carb is 1) dirty bowl nut, which has already been discussed and, 2) the little O-rings on the main jet.
Look at 36 of the Sears breakdown of the carb.
thanks,

Old 03-13-10, 05:16 AM
Smile Snowblower dies under a load

Thanks to all, the problem appears to be fixed. As per 38Racing's suggestion, I started back with the basics and found that the fuel flow seemed a little weak. The fuel line makes a 90 degree bend as it comes out of the fuel tank, and it was partially collapsed. I replaced the line, but need a snowfall to be 100% sure of the fix. Thanks again for all of help!

Old 03-13-10, 06:00 AM
Originally Posted by Fitzmeister View Post
Thanks to all, the problem appears to be fixed. As per 38Racing's suggestion, I started back with the basics and found that the fuel flow seemed a little weak. The fuel line makes a 90 degree bend as it comes out of the fuel tank, and it was partially collapsed. I replaced the line, but need a snowfall to be 100% sure of the fix. Thanks again for all of help!
This is a problem on many snowblowers. I fix that by installing a 90% gas shut off. Of course if you don't want to spend $5 on that, Just go to the hardware store and buy a 90% brass elbow. I recomend staying away from a plastic elbow as the tend to crack in cold weather.

Old 03-14-10, 11:41 AM
Thanks

Thanks again. a 90 degree shutoff would be a good idea for several reasons, as there currently no shutoff. I see you are in Lake Winnapisakee. I have been going to the Laconia Classic for years staying in that area.