Echo PB-200 piston and cylinder

Old 02-25-10, 06:41 AM
Echo PB-200 piston and cylinder

I have a friend who brought me his seized Echo PB-200. I got him to admit that he used marine 2-stroke oil which is what I think caused this (or, perhaps it was mixed in the incorrect ratio).

Anyway, I pulled the motor apart and it really needs a new piston kit (piston, rings and pin retainers) and cylinder. I can't seem to find parts for this machine online though - perhaps because it has been discontinued?

Two questions:
1. Is it cost-effective to do this kind of repair on a hand-held blower or do you typically try to encourage customers to just buy a new one?
2. If repairing is cost-effective, do you know where I can get these parts online?

Thanks,

- Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-10, 07:00 AM
Echo is a very good brand, but you're talking about a lot of repair parts. Normally the cylinder/piston is the first to go and the crank and rod may still be OK. You'll likely have over a $100 in parts, then shipping, etc.

If the blower is well used, I would opt for a new blower. If we're talking about one that is a couple of years old, I would consider repair.

Old 02-25-10, 07:14 AM
That's what I thought. The blower is 6-7 years old. The rest of the motor is in excellent shape.

I told my friend to check the local lawnmower repair shops for a used Echo of some kind. If he strikes out, I told him I would check eBay for him. I guess if he finds a used PB-200, he'll have lots of spare parts available to him

Thanks,

- Joe

Old 02-25-10, 07:23 AM
I think you've given some pretty good advice, Joe.

I've had some newer Poulan saws that were just about new except for the cylinder piston going out. It cost more to fix than replace.

Old 03-02-10, 06:04 AM
I got bored the other day and tried to see if I could get this thing working again (that, and I needed the space the parts were taking up).

I pulled the rings off of the piston and scoured the varnish off of it until the rings moved smoothly in their grooves. I then gently filed down the scoring on the piston and lightly honed the cylinder bore to remove light scoring.

Believe it or not, the blower works great and has good compression. Don't know for how long, but it works great now!

- Joe

Search this Thread