Sthil edger

Old 02-26-10, 04:58 PM
Sthil edger

I've gotten a Sthil FC75 edger in and it was choking down whenever I would try to accelerate it. I rebuilt the diaphragm carburetor and replaced the filter in the fuel tank...and it still does the same thing. If I keep the choke on full...it then seems to run OK. Anyone have any ideas as to what may be the problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-10, 05:48 PM
If you have a two stroke that.....

* Starts OK cold and bogs on acceleration its probably a rich mixture in the idle circuit.

*Starts hard cold and bogs on acceleration with a high idle it's probably a vacuum leak which can be at the crank seals (and is likely on older engines).

*Starts OK cold buts bogs on acceleration and runs OK with the choke on it probably a lean fuel mixture = fuel delivery to the carb or plugged circuit in the carb. If the idle is normal there's not enough fuel to delivery the engine to the high rpm/load circuit.

*Starts hard or not at all, but has spark and hand-fed fuel it's usually the compression.

Old 03-02-10, 07:56 PM
Marbobj, would you mind explaining what you mean by the term (hand-fed fuel)...that is a new one for me?

Old 03-02-10, 08:56 PM
Teaspoon of gas/oil directly into the spark plug hole. It takes the carb out of the equation.

First you remove all gas from the carb/tank. Then clear the combustion chamber with full throttle and no plug - spin engine over a few times. Then gas in the plug hole (hand feed it).

Old 03-02-10, 08:56 PM
Marbobj means manually feeding fuel into the spark plug hole or the carb to rule out a fuel delivery problem... This is a great way of eliminating a carb problem without spending a lot of time tearing a carb apart & later find the engine is worn out.... Hope this helps... Roger