MTD 29" snow thrower....auger problem...

Old 02-26-10, 05:21 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
MTD 29" snow thrower....auger problem...

Hi guys...new here....
I have a MTD 29" snow thrower that i have just damaged the auger gearbox. It seems stripped. When I turn the auger by hand it jumps and spins without turning the impeller shaft. So I'm assuming I have stripped the gears inside the gearbox.
My question to you is.....where can I get the parts to fix it in Ontario Canada and can I buy the parts or do I have to buy new gearbox?
I have a model # but when I try and research it, it doesn't show as a good #...?
Model #31AE6BoH503 I think it's about 8-10 years old. It has a 10.5 HP engine on it, if that helps...?

Thanking you in advance

Old 02-26-10, 06:34 PM
You should be able to get just the gear. Lowes or Homedepot should be able to get the gear for you or try your local small engine shop. Your snowblower is a Canadian model and trying to find parts online is almost impossible. Same thing with Craftsman. The cost for the gear in the U.S. is about $50.

Old 02-26-10, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the reply...I will dismantle it tomorrow and take it to a local small engine shop...so much for trying to deal with it myself, parts wise...oh well.

Thanks.

Old 02-27-10, 02:43 PM
Well...I had to buy a auger shaft and gear, and end bearing. All available from the local small engine shop....Very surprising!!!

I am now looking at adding a rubber paddle to each secondary impeller paddles......there is a huge gap that could be closed up to allow better distance etc.

Thanks again for all your help and guidance.

Old 02-28-10, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by 52willys
Well...I had to buy a auger shaft and gear, and end bearing. All available from the local small engine shop....Very surprising!!!

I am now looking at adding a rubber paddle to each secondary impeller paddles......there is a huge gap that could be closed up to allow better distance etc.

Thanks again for all your help and guidance.
the coleman kits are from sault st Marie I think, but I just bought some round hay baler belting from my local farm dealer for a couple bucks and made my own. Easier to put on while you have impellor removed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: