Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Replacing Drive Rubber


wings515's Avatar
Member

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 11
PA

02-27-10, 08:55 AM   #1  
Replacing Drive Rubber

I have a Sears 247.888500 snow blower. Yeaterday in the storm on the East Coast the spring attaching the drive lever cable to the control arm broke. I bent up the end to finishing plowing. That part has been ordered. While under, I noticed the rubber on the movable drive wheel was damaged (the one that selects the speed and direction). I ordered this part also but I am wondering if anyone has replaced this before and what has to be removed to get the drive wheel off the shaft. Also, does the rubber come off the wheel easily or is there some adhesive holding the rubber to the wheel.

Thanks,
wings515

 
Sponsored Links
smallengineguy's Avatar
Member

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 514
MA

02-27-10, 05:40 PM   #2  
The hex shaft the the friction wheel slides on is tapped on each end. (outside the box). Hold the hex shaft with a wrench (9/16 ?) and remove bolts. Remove bearing on one end and then you can angle hex shaft to remove. There are I believe (6) 3/8" bollts holding the plates that sandwich the rubber friction wheel. There is no adhesive, simply remove one side, slide rubber off, install new rubber and bolt back together. Re-install hex shaft, tighten bolts and you should be good to go. 15-20 minute job.

 
wings515's Avatar
Member

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 11
PA

02-28-10, 12:10 PM   #3  
Thanks for the reply. As soon as I get the parts I'll see how it goes.

 
wings515's Avatar
Member

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 11
PA

03-07-10, 08:23 AM   #4  
Update

I received the parts on Friday and within 60 minutes on Saturday the clutch cable and drive rubber were installed. While adjusting the shifter to make sure I could get all speeds I noticed a large amount of play in the shifter cross arm. It was a worn bolt holding the arm to the shaft. A replacement from the local hardware store fixed it right up.

Thanks for the detailed procedure. It became obvious once an eyeball was placed on the shaft. Removing the bearings was the only and minimal problem.

Again, thanks and regards,

wings515

 
Search this Thread