Roto Hoe chipper/shredder 550

Old 03-02-10, 01:54 PM
Roto Hoe chipper/shredder 550

I recently purchased this chipper/shredder. It is in very,very good shape. It has a brand new motor on it and the paint, belt, bearings, everything looks great. I found out that the maufacturer is out of business and the company that bought it moth-balled it. My main inquiry is the chipper chute is mounted at a very shallow angle, making self feeding impossible. Manually pushing in 1" - 1.5" in limbs is not an option I'm prepared to use. Anyone familiar with this piece of equipment, with suggestions or information will be welcome. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-10, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator
Welcome to our forums!

I am not sure what you can do about it.

I have a fairly recent 5 hp chipper shredder with a similar size capacity and to be honest it is a real pain to use for branches.
Even with likely more of a vertical orientation than yours, unless you totally strip the branches of off-shoots, they do not self feed like you see in commercials of new units.

I have mine to save time and it is quicker for me to pile my branches in a trailer and haul them to the dump.
Leaves are a bit of a different story as we have a large volume to deal with and shredding leaves is what these things do well.

I could not find a pic of your unit online but if you can take some pics of it and post them on a free site like Photo Bucket, provide a link and we can take a look.

Old 03-19-10, 08:16 AM
Although I haven't ever used a Roto Hoe chipper, I have used similar "homeowner" units made by Kemp, W. W. Grinder and MacKissic, and they all require you to manually feed material into the chipper section. Typically, when new, these cost between $500 to $1000 and were designed for occasional home owner use, not commercial use. For me, ANY stick or limb that gets chipped short enough that my hand is even close to the chute entrance? That stub becomes either becomes firewood, or gets pushed thru with the next stick. Definitely wear gloves, ear protection and eye protection as these machines are LOUD, threw chips all over the place and transmit a LOT of vibration to your hands. NEVER EVER run one while tired or distracted because they are not forgiving when it comes to injury. I personally won't run one over an hour with out a 30 minute break.

Last edited by bontai Joe; 03-19-10 at 08:41 AM.