Chainsaw dead

Old 03-06-10, 04:39 PM
Group Moderator
Chainsaw dead

Okay, I'm trying to resurrect my old faithful chainsaw so far without success.

It's a 20+ year old Poulan 3400 Countervibe. Cut many a cord of firewood when we lived in NC and fed the fireplace insert during the winter. Now would like to trim some trees. I haven't run it in a couple of years and the last time it was used (and for a while before that) it would only run decently with the choke on 1/2.

Fast forward to today, got the parts in I ordered [carburetor, fuel filter & tubing, air filter], took it all apart, cleaned it up, put fresh fuel mix in and tried to fire it up. Nada. Couldn't get it to so much as cough after multiple tries. Fuel is getting to carb, I have spark, and compression [got 60-70# with compression gauge, is that good?]. Left it sitting on bench with sparkplug out and throttle locked open to air out.

All ideas and suggestions gladly accepted.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-10, 04:49 PM
Actually you're talking about two issues. The first, with the choke half on is pretty easy to fix. That's fuel = kit in the carb/new gas/plug = that usually does it.

The second is the compression. The 60 - 70 isn't enough for a two stroke, especially on a chainsaw. You should have over a hundred to get it started well. However, if it was running well when you "parked it", the engine may still be in good shape. Try using some WD 40 in the plug hole to lube it up good and try the compression again. If you're still at the low numbers (below 100) pull off the muffler and see if you have some scores on the piston and/or the cylinder wall.

If so, considering it's a Poulan and you've gotten the use out of it, I would go to another saw. You'd have over a $100.00 in parts to fix it. Since you're using it in Florida, I would go to a Stihl. Poulans are much better in cold weather, than hot. They went to some of the emission control stuff = hotter engines.

Old 03-06-10, 08:11 PM
Group Moderator
Last time I had trouble getting a 2-stroke running (A Flymo ) it took pouring a cap full of 10w30 down the spark plug hole to get it to pop. A few more and I got it running. ( a friend told me to try that to increase the compression) I'm thinking the rings might have been stuck. AFAIK it is still running, however the guy never did anything to winterize it so I'm sure I'll see it again.

Old 03-07-10, 05:44 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks guys; I was thinking that compression number was a bit low. Additional info, after yanking the rope a couple of hundred times (really good for my tennis elbow) I think the compression went up some. I didn't actually get the gauge on until a lot of tries at starting. While I was still tinkering I had done the thumb-over-the-plug-hole routine and happened to think there didn't seem to be a lot of compression. Possible the rings were a little gunked up and are getting looser. We'll see.

Yeah, I know, should have probably just junked it instead of putting $ into it, but my concern was trading it for some disposable piece of crap as seems to be the norm for manufactured goods nowadays and when it's running right it's a heck of a good saw.

Old 03-08-10, 04:46 AM
Group Moderator
IT LIVES!

After my first cup of coffee yesterday went out in garage and gave the cylinder a squirt of oil. Did not seem to give me a significant increase in compression. Removed compression gauge, installed sparkplug, couple of pulls on the rope and got a cough, couple more pulls and it was running. Went on to toher things and tried it again later and started up fine. Guess it doesn't mind that low compression; also possible my gauge is readubg low.

Old 03-08-10, 07:17 AM
Group Moderator
SWEET!

It may have not seamed to do much but I would bet the oil did the trick.