Husqvarna 240 chainsaw problem

Old 03-07-10, 03:40 PM

I tried to start my husky yesterday and it won't. i took the plug out and noticed that it was flooded. emptied the gas by truning it upside down and was able to start it. however, after 10 seconds it died. so, i repeated the process again and it didn't start. so, i took the air filter out and was able to start it with pressing the throttle while pulling the starter rope. I was happy and cut a few pieces of cut woods. So, today i tried to start it again and it won't. it was flooed again and air filter was soaked with gas! So, i tried to start it with pressing throttle while pulling the starter rope and no luck. So, i'm wonder what's causing the problem. I purchased the saw 15 months ago and have only cut two small trees with it so far.

Thanks in advance for your reply,

Agnes

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-10, 05:13 PM
Just putting a complete kit in the carburetor may take care of it. The metering valve on the fuel reservoir may be leaking or the pump diaphragm may be ruptured and allowing fuel to go directly into the crankcase through the pulse port.

If you have a dry plug to begin with and the choke off with the throttle on full and still get a wet plug and a combustion chamber full of fuel, the problem is likely the ruptured diaphragm. That's not real common in chainsaws, but you do see it in snowmobiles.

Old 03-07-10, 07:46 PM
Before tearing things apart, make sure you have fresh fuel.

Old 03-08-10, 12:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree, the needle valve is leaking or the diaphragm has a hole or is stiff and holding the needle open... in either case, the carb needs to be worked on.

Old 03-08-10, 04:53 AM

Thanks for feedback. I bought the saw 15 months ago from sears and have used it for may be two hours so far. how could the carb go bad on me? it starts with very small amount of gas in the tank and throttle fully pressed.

do you know what a dealer would charge to replace the part?

Agnes

Old 03-08-10, 11:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The carb is sensitive to any foreign particles, old gas left in it, water, etc... Any of these things could cause the problem. If the carb just needs cleaning out, you might get out of there with a $45 repair bill or so. If it has water damage beyond repair, expect twice that at least.