how to replace craftsman riding mower draglink

Old 03-08-10, 10:26 AM
how to replace craftsman riding mower draglink

Hello,

What are the steps for replacing a draglink on my Craftsman 42" 18.5 riding mower? (Model# 917.270962) I am unsure how to remove the deck...it seems like this would be necessary to do to remove the end near the steering column.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-10, 12:45 PM
I am not sure about your model but the Sears mower I had you released the tension on the deck driven belt in front with a spring loaded pulley and once the belt was off you had 4 spring loaded latches on the deck that released the deck from the hangers on the mower. If I recall correctly there were 2 hangers on front and two one rear of the deck.The one I had was easy to get the deck off and somewhat a pain to reinstall..
I don't think I took the deck off to do steering work but I am sure it would give you more clearance to the steering column.

Good luck

Old 03-08-10, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the info - I think I just read a similar approach on another forum...will definitely try this. The end of the draglink I need to access is unfortunately below the steering column area. There's a small slit in the mower floor that allows you to see it, and a medium-sized adult arm can squeeze below the footrest to get to it, but the bolt is really tight. I figure I'm going to need to replace the belt soon anyway, so I might as well learn how to remove the deck.

Thanks again!