2005 358.350670 Craftsman 42cc HELP

Old 03-11-10, 04:35 AM
Question 2005 358.350670 Craftsman 42cc HELP

I have the above chainsaw. It starts good but when you give it gas to cut or especially turn it sideways to cut a tree down it will bog down and then eventually quit. You can feather the throttle and keep it running sometimes but it will quit when you open the throttle to saw or just rev up. New gas in it filters are clean. Any suggestions? Also, the carburetor looks like it has no screws for L or H settings. Is there a special tool to adjust carb? I hope someone knows about this. When I am finished with this saw I am buying a better brand.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-10, 01:48 PM
Your unit is the equivalent to a Poulan Pro PP4218???, since they are made by Poulan, i.e., 42cc engine with 18" bar. Cross ref shows the carb to be a Zama C1M-W26B. The carb kit is RB-129.

There are 3 screws holding the top cover on, 2 on the starter side, 1 on the bar side, towards the back.
There is slot towards the back of the cover that is access to the L and H needles. A hole in the upper right of rope start cover is access to the idle speed screw.

The symptom is one of the L needle (one closest to engine) should be opened up some, but, if it's run good before, and needle settings haven't been altered. something else is happening.

I've had occasion if the saw has sat unused for a period of time w/o being run dry, to lightly seat the L and H needles, then turn them out CCW 1 1/2 turns and use the start procedure.

No start, then maint process of dumping old gas, fill with fresh mix, etc. must have good fuel lines, filters, etc.

If saw was stored w/o running dry, I would hazard a guess the carb needs to be disassembled, cleaned thoroughly, and rekitted.

The needles are just splined, there is a tool, but you can fashion one out of the butt end of an ele connector.

download the technical guide from this site:
USA Zama : Service Tips

hope this helps some,
thanks,

Last edited by GlenM; 03-11-10 at 02:28 PM. Reason: add'l info
Old 03-11-10, 03:21 PM
Talking

Thank you for your time GlenM. I think that may be the answer. I just now have to figure out the electrical connection thing to try adjustment L and H first. I really do thank you, and hope that adjustment is all thats needed.