Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Chainsaw has oil in cylinder

03-14-10, 03:33 PM   #1  
Chainsaw has oil in cylinder

I have a 12 inch Homelite XL chainsaw. It has chain oil in the cylinder. Don't know how it got there, and don't know how to prevent it from happening again.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

03-14-10, 04:31 PM   #2  
If you don't get a good answer here you can try posting your question in the outodoor power equipment section. There are many knowledgeable people in that section that have probably seen this before.

TN

03-15-10, 08:51 AM   #3  
Oil

How do you know the oil is chain oil? Could it be oil residue from the gas-oil fuel mix? Or did someone add oil to the cylinder for long-term storage?

03-15-10, 10:25 AM   #4  
I am the only one who has had the saw in his hands. The oil is not from the gasoline. The saw was smoking a lot while running, and then when I shut it off the oil continued collecting in the cylinder. I cannot turn it over because of the oil that is in the cylinder. There is no other source for the oil, and the oil reservoir is now empty.

TN

03-15-10, 12:55 PM   #5  
Oil

This sounds to me like a cracked cylinder wall. I would take it to a repair shop.

Search this Thread