Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

dana spicer trans model # 4360-140

03-15-10, 02:36 AM   #1  
dana spicer trans model # 4360-140

I have a dana spicer 6 spd. trans. on my craftsman 2001 riding lawnmowermodel # 4360-140. The pulley on the trans is approx. 9" across. I have taken the clip off the top of the pulley but I am having a time removing the pulley. Is this pulley suppose to pull straight off, or does it screw off? ANY help in this matter would be appreciated. I have soaked the top of the pulley where the retaining clip was with lubricant but to no avail. can you help cheese? Many thanks, bigarm69

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-16-10, 12:18 AM   #2  
It pulls off. Sometimes I use an impact hammer on the stubborn ones.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

03-16-10, 04:06 PM   #3  
4360-140 dana spicer trans

Thanks a million Cheese... gonna tackle that job asap. let me ask you...I am going to get inside the trans to clean and look for any possible things to replace. could you tell me what are the common things to look for, and can I install say a 90 wt. gear oil instead of the grease? Is a combination of the two "ok" to use, or should I just stay with the grease? what type is best to use if the mower will be used for riding at higher speeds( I am changing the pulleys but NOT to race as a racer, just to make it go faster)... thanks for your prompt reply...Sincerely, Armand

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-17-10, 01:47 AM   #4  
The shaft bushings wear sometimes, also the shift keys and the input shaft and related needle bearings. These aren't the best for holding up under high speed, but I don't think I would use anything less than grease since it is not really sealed. Gear oil surely will leak out. Use double ought grease (00 grease). Most any mower repair shop should have it for around $7 a quart.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread