Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Chainsaw has oil in cylinder

03-15-10, 07:42 AM   #1  
Chainsaw has oil in cylinder

My 12 inch Homelite XL has chain oil in the cylinder. Don't know how it got there, and don't know how to keep it from doing it again. Of course it won't start, can't turn it. It was running but smoking a lot, when I shut it off, it won't start again.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-16-10, 12:15 AM   #2  
Any chance someone poured chain lube in the wrong tank (gas tank)? Seen it before.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

03-16-10, 07:46 AM   #3  
I am the only one who has any contact with this saw. And I didn't do it.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-17-10, 01:50 AM   #4  
Has it been a long time since using it? The only oil that should be able to get into the cylinder is the oil in the gas. If the saw sat unused for a long time with a seeping carb, it could have continually seeped gas into the cylinder, the gas would evaporate, leaving the oil behind. That's my guess as to what's happening.

God bless!

03-17-10, 07:19 AM   #5  
The saw had sat for a long time. However, filled both tanks, started it, and ran about half the gas tank out. It was smoking a lot. I shut it off and set it aside for probably half an hour, then tried to start it again. I then could not turn it, since the oil would not compress. I took the spark plug out and oil ran out of the spark plug hole. The oil tank was about empty. There is still too much oil in the cylinder to be able to turn it.

OK

03-17-10, 07:45 AM   #6  
If I'm not mistaken, does this model have a pulse port from carb thru a line to oil tank ?
I think there's a duckbill valve at tank from carb.
This may have failed making oil to backup thru carb to cylinder.

03-17-10, 11:57 AM   #7  
That would certainly be an explanation. There ares two lines from the oil tank, one appears to carry oil to the chain. The other goes to a port that I don't know what it is, maybe that is the one you are referring to. It is a small square item with a spear connection for the oil tube. It cannot be unscrewed because of the surrounding frame. Does it have to be removed to get to the valve you are talking about? If so, how do I remove it. I have a picture, but don't know how to send it to you.

Super Moderator

AZ

03-17-10, 12:18 PM   #8  
As to the picture question.....http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

03-17-10, 01:20 PM   #9  
This is (I hope) a picture of the top of the saw.

I do appreciate the advice given to me.

OK

03-17-10, 01:20 PM   #10  
Posted By: treefarmer The saw had sat for a long time. However, filled both tanks, started it, and ran about half the gas tank out. It was smoking a lot. I shut it off and set it aside for probably half an hour, then tried to start it again. I then could not turn it, since the oil would not compress. I took the spark plug out and oil ran out of the spark plug hole. The oil tank was about empty. There is still too much oil in the cylinder to be able to turn it.
How well was the bar and chain being oiled during the time it ran?

Super Moderator

AZ

03-17-10, 01:41 PM   #11  
sorry treefarmer...didn't quite work....no link showing for a Mod to work with....

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

03-17-10, 01:54 PM   #12  
I'll try again.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-17-10, 02:34 PM   #13  
Ok, I underestimated the amount of oil you were talking about. I think the oiler line is where the problem lies, like GlenM suggested. If there is no way to unscrew the barbed piece, it may push in rather than thread in. Try working it back and forth and pulling to get it out.

God bless!

03-17-10, 04:07 PM   #14  
I was able to pull the barbed connection out of the block, or whatever it is that it's in. It is open, simply effects a 90 degree bend in the flow. I looked in the hole, can't see anything. Tried to blow air through it, the only place air comes out is from the two bolt holes that the outside case is bolted to. What do I do now?

OK

03-18-10, 03:56 AM   #15  
You sure got yourself a mess,,,,that hose been disconnected all along??

If you could somehow get this thing cleaned up,
get oil out of cylinder, etc.

Get it started making sure there's no bar/chain oil in the oil tank, and see what happens,

03-18-10, 07:07 AM   #16  
I disconnected the hose and I pulled the fitting. \
If I start it without any oil in the tank, and it runs fine, which is what I expect would be the case, what will I have learned? The oil must have come from the tank before. The question is how to keep it from doing it again.

OK

03-18-10, 08:35 AM   #17  
That puts us back to the little duckbill valve, you should see
it protruding just under the oil cap.
it's function is to let crankcase pulse come into tank, through the carb,
providing pressure to push oil out the other line to bar/chain, but, not let any pressure or oil come back out.

03-18-10, 04:54 PM   #18  
Several things -
First, I cannot see the duckbill valve, either I am not looking in
the right place, or it is missing.
Second, both hoses have been off when it was idle. The hose that is off the barb in the photo just goes into the oil tank near the top. The other hose from the other barb is connected to the pickup filter in the tank. Is that correct?
Third, the hose that goes from near the top of the oil tank to the barb shown in the photo, has too thick a wall, and was crushed closed where it entered the tank. What problem does this create?

I do thank you.

OK

03-19-10, 05:01 AM   #19  
On top of the case, under the top handle, should be a tag with the model number.
Might begin with ut-nnnnn, or will be just a 6 digit number.
I need this to make sure what variation this model may have.

PM me your email addr and I will send you an Illustrated Parts List of an XL.
Thanks,

03-19-10, 09:14 AM   #20  
The saw is a Homelite, XL,12 inch. Ut is 105062, Ser 891380228
Did you consider what I said about the one tube that is too large
for the opening into the oil reservoir, and is therefore crushed to
the point that it is completely closed? My email is [email protected]

OK

03-19-10, 10:53 AM   #21  
IPL has been sent to the email addr you supplied.

03-22-10, 03:13 PM   #22  
I installed a duckbill valve and new tubing from it to the oil line fitting. I then started the engine and it runs good, except that it just pours out blue smoke, and there is no oil to the chain. The line is open from the lower oil line fitting to the opening where it should flow onto the chain.
I assembled and reassembled it three times. The first two times the oil tubing from the oil tank had come out of the fitting that goes into the oil pump. The third time it was still together as it should be, but still no oil to the chain and clouds of blue smoke.

OK

03-22-10, 05:11 PM   #23  
As much oil as got into the cylinder, it will probably smoke for a long time, wouldn't worry about,
as long as you can get it started and it runs.
Here again, it's been several yrs since i've had my XL apart, but, if I remember right, there is a fitting on the right side of the case
that has a line going to the oil port for the bar/chain.
Go down to page 6 of the IPL I sent and you can see the two oiling methods.
thanks,

Search this Thread