Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Briggs & Stratton Choke Spring

03-15-10, 12:54 PM   #1  
Briggs & Stratton Choke Spring

I am having some trouble with the engine on my Westwood T1200 Tractor Mower. The Engine is a Briggs & Stratton 281707.

The problem is that the Choke / Throttle is not responding and stays fully open, looking at the engine I believe the problem is to do with the "Choke Return Spring"(That appears to have stretched and broken)

I can buy a new one on-line but am unsure where is should go from / attach to.

Hope you can help

~Will

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-16-10, 12:10 AM   #2  
That spring doesn't affect anything critical. It is just a spring designed to take the slack out of the throttle linkage. It is not necessary. If the throttle stays wide open causing the engine to race, then I suspect the governor is bad or has been tampered with. Is there any force trying to close the throttle at all when it runs, or does the throttle just flop back and forth freely?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

03-16-10, 07:29 AM   #3  
Looks like I was too focused on the Spring. On closer inspection I think the rod that the spring is on (Not sure what it is called) is slightly bent, it therefore goes too far one way when the leaver is moved and then wont go back due to the angle it is.

CANADA

03-16-10, 06:46 PM   #4  
you should start with doing a static adjustment on the governor

Search this Thread