Troy Bilt Front Self Propell not working properly

Old 03-15-10, 04:07 PM

Hello...Im hoping someone can assist me with this problem Im having. I have a Troy Bilt front wheel self propell lawn mower I purchased in '08. I've never had any issue with it until the other day when for the first time this year I pulled it out to do some yard work. The problem Im having is that the the mower will not move when I engage the self propell. It cranks on the first pull, it just will not move. I removed the cover and I noticed that when I engage the self-propel bar it pulls the lever the pully towards me creating slack and the drive belt loosens to where it isnt making contact with the pully anymore. First of all I dont think the belt is as tight as it should be because when I pinch the belt together it touches the other side fairly easily. The engine is a Briggs & Stratton 675 series 190cc 21" / the sn is 126T02-0675. I thought I would post this issue here before I went out and spent money purchasing something I might otherwise not need. As an fyi the belt type is a MTD 754-0637A if that will help. Does anyone know where there may be a lever that will allow me to adjust the tension or should I go out and purchase a new drive belt because it may have become stretched.

One other thing I noticed is that the tranny or gear box that the pully rests on top of has an extension arm or some kind that has a spring below it. It seems the spring may have lost alot of its resistance because when I engage the self propel the spring goes all the way down to the deck. Just my thought.

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone may be able to give.

Last edited by Booyow; 03-15-10 at 04:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-10, 12:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Make sure the belt is on the engine pulley...it could have jumped off. Also post your model # so we can look up what you have.

Old 03-16-10, 03:08 PM

Sorry about that:

The Model# is: 12A-466M011
The Serial# is: 1C198K11636

I also check that the belt is on the engine pully as it should be and it was.

Last edited by Booyow; 03-16-10 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-16-10, 08:03 PM
That spring you are talking about below the pulley should be on top of the pulley. You may need a new spring if that had been fully compressed. Spring part # 732-1043 and costs about $3.

Old 03-17-10, 06:06 AM
Indy,

Thanks for your response. I think in looking at the diagram it does appear that the spring should be on top, however the spring is actually below the arm. But thats a good suggestion to replace that spring because it does in fact become fully compressed when I engage the drive control.

I'll order the part and I'll post back the outcome over the weekend. Hopefully the part will have delivered by then.

thanks

Old 04-07-10, 05:44 AM
Okay well just to follow up. I ordered the belt and the tension spring just to cover my bases. Well it turned out to be the belt had stretched. I put on the new belt and Im back in business.