Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Chain Saw puzzle

03-17-10, 07:05 PM   #1  
Chain Saw puzzle

I have a Crafstman (Poulan) chain saw, model 358.355161. It was running fine today, then kind of started acting like it was running out of fuel, and quit running, wouldn't start. Wasn't out of gas, so I checked the tank filter, it was o.k. Checked the plug, it was clean, and had good spark when I spun it over. Checked the air filter, which was dirty, cleaned it. I didn't see a lot of crud under there that would be blocking the air either. Still no start, EXCEPT with the air box cover removed. It will start and run fine with the cover off, but the minute I put it back on, even loosely, it won't run. The carb (Walbro WT I think) is adjusted according to the excellent instructions I found on this forum (roughly 1 turn more or less each on the lo speed and hi speed screws). The thing is, it seems to be spraying a lot of raw and atomized fuel back out of the venturi when I give it the gas. So, does this point to a carb problem, or is there something else more sinister going on? I looked at most of the related threads on this forum, but didn't really see this problem.

Sponsored Links

OK

03-17-10, 08:01 PM   #2  
One thing to check is, see if somehow the cover is causing the kill wire to short out, i.e., maybe the wire has a bare place, etc.

IL

03-19-10, 05:30 AM   #3  
chk the fule line for cracks sounds like it mite be sucking some air

TX

03-20-10, 11:11 AM   #4  
I was told if you have gas,spraying out of the venturi,you have a clog muffler.Take off your muffler and check your spark arrester screen.Hope this helps.

Jerry

03-25-10, 07:29 AM   #5  
Thanks jsouth, a local repair shop mentioned that also. I checked the muffler, and it was o.k., so I took it a little further. I pulled the plastic cover off where the carb is mounted to gain access to the reed valve, and lo and behold, there was a little piece of wood stuck under it, allowing backpressure from the crankcase to blow back through the carb. Problem solved!

TX

03-26-10, 07:41 PM   #6  
Glad you got it repaired.

Jerry

Search this Thread