Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda HTR 3009 Starter Removal

03-21-10, 01:04 PM   #1  
Honda HTR 3009 Starter Removal

I have a new battery on my mower and recently replaced the solenoid but when I turn the key it just clicks. I assume it to be the starter.

I can't seem to locate the bolts to remove the starter. Does anyone have a schematic on the engine? Are the mounting bolts hidden inside the engine housing somewhere?

Any advice (or pictures or drawings) would be appreciated.

Attila

Sponsored Links

NH

03-21-10, 02:22 PM   #2  
The mounting bolts are located on the nose of the starter and go paralell to the starter. Find the body of the starter and follow it up. The bolt will be in the nosecone and bolt up to the engine. You may have to look with a flashlight as they may be on the back side of the starter.
You can find a parts breakdown at Lawn Mower Parts

03-21-10, 08:46 PM   #3  
Thanks for the reply. I looked and it seems like the mounting bolts are under the flywheel. What an inconvenient place for them! Looks like lots of work to get there.

03-31-10, 05:52 PM   #4  
Removing flywheel

I am back to working on this and tried to remove the bolt holding on the flywheel. I am really struggling trying to hold the flywheel and turn the bolt.

Any suggestions?

Also, is the bold standard thread or reverse thread?

Thanks,

Attila

NH

04-01-10, 06:14 AM   #5  
You should not have to remove the flywheel to replace the starter.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

04-01-10, 06:49 AM   #6  
The Honda site actually has a great .pdf manual for the 3009. At least I think that is where I got mine.
If I recall, it is possible to get the bolts out with an open end wrench but it is a pain.
Make certain that you have disconnected the battery!
The threads are standard for the flywheel nut. It may take an impact wrench or cheater bar to get it loose.
You can find the brushes for that starter online or through a Honda dealer. That is probably all that it needs.
The Honda site has most of the info you will need.

I can have a look at one this morning and perhaps better refresh my memory.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

WA

04-01-10, 07:32 AM   #7  
At least with walk behind mower that are driven directly by the engine, putting a block of wood under the blade and the lowering the weight of the mower onto the wood will hold the flywheel in place so the nut can be removed.

I don't know if that would work for your mower.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

04-01-10, 04:48 PM   #8  
The blade is on a belt and a manual PTO.
Once you get the nut loose, you may still need to jar the flywheel loose from the shaft. Easiest way is to thread the nut on the shaft so you can smack it with a hammer without mushrooming the shaft. BEFORE you smack it, use a sturdy piece of wood or similar under the flywheel and put upward pressure on it, now give the nut on the shaft a sharp rap with a BFH

I found my old brush and brush holder with part #'s

31215-ZA1-003
31231-ZA1-013

One of each, I believe one is brush and the other is brush holder, but the holder has a brush mounted so...

Search this Thread