Small engine lubrication oil

Old 03-21-10, 05:03 PM
Small engine lubrication oil

I've been using automotive oil (API SM) in my lawnmowers and powerwasher for decades. I've only now become aware that the manufacturerer's recommend API SG in these engines. The expensive mfr oils from Briggs & Statton etc is SG but I always thought it was the same as automotive oil at a rip-off price. I suspect that most people do the same.

I looked up the difference and SG has more phosphorous and I think zinc. Anyhow it's supposed to be a better lubricant. Do many people pay the extra for SG and does anybody have strong feelings that SG is worth the extra $$ in terms of performance or engine life?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-10, 05:52 PM
IMO, it depends on a couple of things, how much is this unit used? is it the average homeowner use, i.e., 5-12 hrs/yr? or commercially?
And, a comfort factor, if it makes you more comfortable using higher price oil, use it.
However, to me it's more important to change oil regularly, keep good clean oil in mower.
I've serviced mowers where the owner never changed oil, only added up to mark, and they were 5+ yrs old. I had to run two changes thru it to get it clean.
Personally, I use Walmart Supertech, it's SG rated, and change it when it starts to looking dirty on the dipstick.
FWIW
thanks,

Old 03-21-10, 08:32 PM
I've had coustomers that had older Lawnboy mowers in the past bring in their new 4 stroke mower & when I ask if they want an oil change, they tell me "you never change oil in a lawnboy, just keep the resivoir full of 2 stroke oil" They even run on 2 stroke oil in the crankcase,, so I don't think most really care if the oil is SG, SH, etc, as long as it's clean & full.... Roger

Old 03-21-10, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by hopkinsr2 View Post
you never change oil in a lawnboy, just keep the resivoir full of 2 stroke oil
That settles it. I'm getting a lawnboy so I never have to change the oil.

Old 03-22-10, 02:54 AM
And, as important, it's crucial to keep the air filter clean.

Search this Thread