MTD Mower won't start

Old 03-22-10, 09:18 AM
MTD Mower won't start

Hello all,

I've inherited my dad's mower to try and get it running for the season. It's an MTD 139cc OHV 22" mulch mower. Serial number on the engine is 1P65M0/0803253A0706. He bought it last year new, brought it home put gas in it and it wouldn't start. Took it back to the big box store and they wouldn't take it back because he put gas in it. On thier recomendation he took it to a mower shop and they "repaired" it. It ran but has never run well, always dying when he would mow on a hill when the mower wasn't perfectly level. He fell ill this winter and didn't treat the gas. I drained the tank, added "start your engines", and fresh gas and the mower fired on the second pull. I ran it for a while thinking it was good to go, and tried to start it this morning and it fired after about 5 pulls (which dad says is normal) then it died and won't restart. I pulled the plug and it's color indicated the mower was running overly rich, so i cleaned it up and checked for spark. It is getting spark but still won't fire. I've tried the choke in all positions to try and start to no avail. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Stephen

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-10, 10:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Try to start it with the air filter off. If still nothing, try putting a little gas into the spark plug hole and see if it will start. What kind of engine is on it?

Old 03-22-10, 03:59 PM
Can you post the model number od the mower and of the engine? These will help figuring out the problem. Mower model # should start with 11A-xxxxxxx and is located on the back of the mower.

Old 03-22-10, 06:30 PM
Model number is 11A08MB006

Serial # for the mower is 1C199K20223

I can't identify the maker of the engine or a model # on the engine, but the serial # posted in my first post is off the engine itself.

Old 03-23-10, 04:31 PM
The mower is a 2009. It has an MTD brand engine on it which they have made in China. The parts list shows very little for carb parts. Just lists 2 carb kits. 1 major, 1 minor. Does not say what is included in the kits. Majoer kit is $41.20. Minor kit is $18.43. I would say it needs a carb cleaning.

Old 03-23-10, 05:38 PM
Indypower, do you have an IPL and/or a shop manual I can have a peek at? That would help me in breaking down, cleaning and putting back together.

Thanks,

Stephen

Old 03-23-10, 06:58 PM
Update:

The engine will fire if I inject fuel into the carb throat but it will not stay running. On the bottom of the carb is a bowl with a float I'm assuming should be filled with fuel. Upon breaking down the carb, I find this bowl is not filling with fuel. Any suggestions?

Old 03-24-10, 12:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check supply of fuel from the tank to the carb and see if it is flowing. If so, remove the float and needle and see if fuel flows into the bowl.

Old 03-24-10, 11:42 AM
I know fuel is getting to the bowl inlet. I'll see if I can pull the float off and get fuel to draw in and post results.

Old 03-24-10, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by shartman32 View Post
Indypower, do you have an IPL and/or a shop manual I can have a peek at? That would help me in breaking down, cleaning and putting back together.

Thanks,

Stephen
I went to their website and they only show the carb assembly, no carb parts.

Old 03-24-10, 08:17 PM
I've repaired it. Fuel inlet valve was gummed up badly. Tank vent also gummed up. Now it runs like a champ.

Old 03-25-10, 01:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it, thanks for the update!