Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

18.5 B&S carb problem

OR

03-24-10, 09:52 AM   #1  
18.5 B&S carb problem

Been working on an 18.5 single cyl. B & S riding mower. Mower sat for 2 years with gas in it. Drained gas, disassembled and cleaned carb, changed plug and filters(gas and air). I got the mower running, runs OK on choke, but when I lower throttle position I have to hold choke closed to keep running properly. Thought I had an air leak, so I replaced 2 o-rings(1 at cyl. head and 1 at front of carb) Any ideas on what might be the problem?

Sponsored Links

NH

03-24-10, 04:06 PM   #2  
Sounds like the carb is still dirty. Can you post the engine number please?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

03-24-10, 05:00 PM   #3  
Yep, the carb still needs cleaning. Remove the main jet from the center of the carb and clean it out as well. If there is a jet screwed into the side of the post that drops down from the carb, remove it and clean it out as well.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

OR

03-24-10, 08:50 PM   #4  
carb still dirty

Left the engine numbers with the mower after buying o rings, will remove center jet, but became stuck 1/2 way out. cleaned it with small brush with carb cleaner. will have to soak it in solvent for a bit. Thanks for the reply, i'll let you know if it solves the problem.

Search this Thread