CHAMPION brand generator from Costco

Old 03-26-10, 08:58 AM
CHAMPION brand generator from Costco

All,

Until a recent storm, I never imagined having a need or a want for an emergency generator. Frankly, I'm still not sure I would ever use one again, but based upon some issues I had, I made an emergency/panic purchase of a Champion brand 6000W generator from Costco for about $600.

There's quite a bit of information about the Champion brand on the RV forums - seems a lot of folks like the RV-ready smaller wattage versions a lot. It's very hard to find anything on the bigger versions. I know that the engine is a Honda knockoff and arguably (from what I've read) one of the better ones.

Considering my minimal requirements above, any thoughts on whether or not keeping this is the right move? I've got about 15 more days to still return it if necessary, but would buying a $1200+ Honda (or alternative) really be the right move for me?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-10, 10:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't like any of the chinese stuff. I own a champion winch and the field magnets just came unglued and jammed the armature one day for no reason, just cheap glue I guess. If you think you will depend on it being there if and when you ever need it, then don't depend on something chinese. It will disappoint you. If the money is an issue, get your money back and go to a local pawn shop and pick up a nice looking honda generator that checks out good and you'll have 10X the machine, comfort in knowing you can count on it, and probably some money left in your pocket.

Old 03-26-10, 11:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you replace it, be sure to get one that is sized to your needs. Figure what you need to absolutely run - fridge, furnace, well or sump pump, microwave, a few lights and maybe a TV. Figure up the wattage (including start up for motors) and go from there.

Old 03-26-10, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
I don't like any of the chinese stuff. I own a champion winch and the field magnets just came unglued and jammed the armature one day for no reason, just cheap glue I guess. If you think you will depend on it being there if and when you ever need it, then don't depend on something chinese. It will disappoint you. If the money is an issue, get your money back and go to a local pawn shop and pick up a nice looking honda generator that checks out good and you'll have 10X the machine, comfort in knowing you can count on it, and probably some money left in your pocket.
I am of the same mindset, usually, and even more so with my tools. I'm trying to balance the frequency of use vs. the risk.

Old 03-27-10, 02:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Balancing frequency of use vs. risk of cost was the reason I bought the 7500 lb winch for my 20 ft. trailer. I knew I wouldn't use it much, so it didn't have to last many hours. Well, it didn't get 30 minutes of use before it tore up. It was a few years old and out of warranty though. It was only $300.00, but I would never want to pay $300.00 for less than 30 minutes of winch time. I work on small engines for a living and have developed a very sour outlook on the junky low-priced import stuff.