Craftsman 42" idler pulley stuck

Old 03-26-10, 03:23 PM
Craftsman 42" idler pulley stuck

I have a craftsman lawnmower model number 917.271141 with a 42" deck and when the manual lever is pushed up and over the blade will not engage. Last year toward the end of the year it started to have this problem and i snapped the cable and replaced it which seemed to have solved the problem. I took the deck off oiled the pulley(tensioner) and all worked ok. I looked at the belt and there is hardly much play when the blade is engaged. I have gotten to the point where I have removed the deck and i think the pulley is old and rusted because it takes an act of congress to move it in its groove. So is it as simple as disassemlbing, cleaning, oiling, and reassembling? How or what do I need to look for to replace?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-10, 01:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Take the pivot arm off, clean the rust off the mating surfaces, put some grease on it and reassemble.

Old 03-27-10, 06:19 AM
You might get it to free up by spraying WD-40 on pivot arm bolt and sliding surfaces.

Old 03-27-10, 06:48 AM
when my mower started doin this I did what cheese suggested. Plus belt dressing. Which isn't really necessary since sanding the rust out of the mating surfaces and lubing is enough.