Will this work?

Old 03-27-10, 02:26 PM
Will this work?

In short...

Iowa/brutal winter/plowed tons of snow (a lot with a cat)/spread gravel from the drive everywhere.

In the past I've raked that stuff by hand, but this year we have so much more to do.

I have an old mower I was thinking about getting a dethatching blade for and maybe rake the rocks with it.

Is there a chance that would work? If no any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-10, 02:31 PM
NO!

AJ

Danger Will Robinson Danger

Old 03-27-10, 02:58 PM
"Lost in Space Fan" I see. Any particular reason - the discharge would be controlled.

Old 03-27-10, 03:16 PM
I guess it depends on what you expect it to do for you. All it will do is move the gravel around & spit gravel out from under the deck. Be sure to keep the kids & dogs inside use safety glasses make sure that your insurance is paid in full ( ask if broken sliding glass doors are covered!)

AJ

better to pay the kidds a penny a stone!

Old 03-27-10, 04:46 PM
Are you talking about a rotary mower with a thatch blade, if you are, you must make a video, this is going to be fantastic, You could get $10k on AFV, I can see the Headlines now(OUCH). Have a good one. Geo

Old 03-27-10, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the responses:

Longer version...

Well, it's not that bad . It would be on a rotary mower, but it's belt driven = geared down with some pulley sizing. the speed of the blade is about 1/10 of it's grass cutting speed and it can be taken down more.

The rocks are down in the grass, as you might imagine, and we're not talking about a couple hundred, but a couple million. Since kids around this area aren't moved by a penny a stone when most can get their penny by not doing anything that leaves the innovative to get it done.

A regular rock rake won't pick up small gravel like this out of the grass, but I thought a dethatcher should move it out. By controlling the discharge from blade I"m hoping to get a windrowing of the rocks and a more thorough removal of the rocks from the grass.

Even in hand raking the rocks you can't get all of them out of the grass so you're dealing with the rocks/mower scenario anyway.

If I put it together, I'll take a picture. Let me know how to get the 10K, Geo.

Old 03-27-10, 05:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't think it would work anyway because a dethatcher has no discharge area. It just goes around in circles and would just stir the rocks around, not move them to one side of the mower or the other. If the blade was on an angle so that it left the ground near the discharge side of the deck, it would probably be more effective. Maybe you can change the wheel heights to attain this, but I am also unsure of the safety. If you geared the blade down far enough that there was no risk of high velocity rocks flying through the air, then I guess it wouldn't be so bad.

Old 03-27-10, 07:12 PM
Appreciate the responses. I was just looking at this as a possibility.

The deck I have is an old Wheelhorse deck with front corner discharges and the blades have a couple sets of teeth on them. I thought I could modify them to accept another couple.

I don't believe the velocity of the rocks would be an issue with the lower rpm of the blade. But I'm always cautious of things like that.

It would be a good application for a rental, but I haven't found anything locally and the rock rakes, I"m sure, wouldn't help at all.

Thanks again

Old 03-29-10, 08:36 AM
Can you rent a rotary broom to sweep the rocks out? Something like this:

Accessories for garden tractors and lawn, snowblower for ATV and UTV

Old 04-01-10, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the idea and the link Joe.

I checked around and haven't found anything like that for rent, yet. But still looking.

When I saw the brush you're talking about, it got me thinking about maybe converting an old snow blower head for a rider into something like that. It would already run about the brush speed I need and I could build it with steel bristles.

This year the rocks are a lot worse, but it is an on going problem so I believe it'll be worth the time to build something.

Thanks again

Old 04-01-10, 07:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
When I used to work with backhoes for a utility, the gravel spreading job was done with the front backhoe scoop.

A scoop of gravel was taken from the pile, and then the backhoe driver drove down the road, allowing a layer of gravel to fall out of the scoop as he drove. Improvements to that were made by putting the scoop on the ground with the weight of the backhoe on it and backing it up, spreading and evening the gravel.

Not what you have --- but a method that worked.

Dump trucks could cinch down the rear door to open a suitable amount and then raise the bed of the truck, allowing gravel to cover the roadway at an even level as the truck drove down the road. I imagine gravel delivery trucks could do that for you if you need additional gravel.