I have a dream...

Old 03-31-10, 06:47 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have a dream...

I have wanted to do this for years. Now that I have a Mig and an arc welder and more hand tools than I probably should have, I want to build a four wheel drive lawn tractor. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. Somebody already did that but I don't want to buy one. I want to build my own.

I've considered several options from taking an existing mower and converting it by somehow adding a transaxle to the front, cutting the axles and welding in PTO joints or universal joints to make it steerable all the way to starting from scratch and making my own frame.

I am anxious to hear from anybody and everybody who has either done this or has knowledge and suggestions they could share.

I'm pretty good at fabrication, metal work, welding and mechanics and what I can't do I have resources I can call on.

Anyway, I'd really like to hear some ideas. It has to be able to mow grass and live front and rear hydraulics and PTO would be very cool.

Old 03-31-10, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
go for it, last time i was up at the inlaws myfil had a farming mag with a scale model of a 4 wheel drive case tractor that was 1/20th scale was pretty cool and it ran, my thinking is you will need something like a transaxle from a subaru 4wheel drive or maybe a 4 wheel drive atv to do it easy, otherwise i have though about using a chain drive and u joints and driving just the either front or rear axle and short chain with a stub axle to drive the opposite set of wheels, if you do build it post some pics because that would be way cool

murphy was an optimist

Old 03-31-10, 10:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: