Honda 9HP Engine

Old 04-01-10, 03:14 PM
Smile Honda 9HP Engine

Ihave inherited a 9 hp engine that has not started for 2 or 3 years. When last used it was ok but now it will not start I have cleaned the carb and it gives a spark but it just will not start or even hint at starting. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-10, 04:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Add a teaspoon of gas directly into the carburetor throat and see if it will start and run for 2-3 seconds. If so, you probably need to clean the carb again.

Old 04-02-10, 11:27 AM
9 hp Honda engine

I'll try that thanks, and let you know the result. I cant get over to the unit yet, (put my back out)

Old 04-02-10, 12:22 PM
If you go to u-tube you can find lots of videos on people using various methods to clean their small engine carbs. It might give you some ideas ---not necessarily good ones!

For my recent carb job, my lawnmower repair guy sold me a carn kit for my Briggs engine that included gaskets, seats, pins and such and recommended I do a complete rather than a half job. I followed that recommendation and it now works like a champ.

As a furnace repairman, I found that one of the weaknesses of DIYers was often doing a half job --- the minimum necessary. I find that a weakness of mine when I'm DIYit in other areas, such as these small engine repairs.

Old 04-03-10, 01:57 PM
9 hp Honda engine

Thanks your rght I am guilty of doing the minimum to get something working.I think my school teacher said the very same thing.When I am fit enough I will try some of the things suggested. Thanks again.Beer 4U2

Old 04-06-10, 11:51 AM
9 hp Honda engine

I had the carb cleaned at the honda dealership still not working. Tried a little petrol in the directly into the carb not even trying to start. when turning the engine over a few times it gives off a petrol (gas) smell so I think fuel is getting through. The spark is present at the plug but is it worth replacing the plug ? could it be something more serious would a sticking valve cause the engine not to give any life in the engine at all?

Old 04-06-10, 01:03 PM
I like to try adding some fuel into the carburetor throat as a test. If that fails to get the engine started, it tends to rule out the carb as the problem as you suggest.

Another active thread here has found a bad spark plug on a Honda engine can be a problem, so trying a new plug might be worthwhile.

I think I'm going to keep a new plug in reserve for testing purposes. If you have one you know is good, replacing and testing the plug is easy and help you eliminate one possible problem ----or identify the problem if you are lucky.

I probably ought to get two plugs. As a furnace repairman I found that one of the huge advantages pro repairman have is having needed parts on hand. Having to go shop for every trivial little thing you might need wastes a lot of time.

To inaugurate that program, I bought two carb kits a month or so ago ---- one to use and the other to have as a spare in reserve.

Old 04-06-10, 04:39 PM
Buy a Champion spark plug for it. Hondas come with NGK plugs, but they don't seem to like them. Other threads on here have delt with the same problem and the cure for 95% of them was installing a new Champion or Autolite sprk plug. With Hondas, you seem to have a carb problem, but it is a spark plug problem. I used to use NGK plugs in Honda & Kawasaki engines, but now I use Champion exclusively.

Old 04-06-10, 08:08 PM
Indypower is right,, These engines seem to be really picky on Quality Plugs..9 out of 10 times I've got these running with a plug & try it without the air filter for a test as that is another thing that will keep them from starting,,(believe it or not!!).... Roger

Old 04-08-10, 02:07 PM
9 hp Honda engine

Thanks for the advice, I will try a champion plug, does anyone know the number, the plug in the engine at the moment is an NGK BPR 6ES. The engine is a GX 270.
I really dont want this engine to beat me.

Old 04-08-10, 04:48 PM
The Champion Spark plug is RN9YC.

Search this Thread