right wheel wont move

Old 04-01-10, 06:36 PM
Question right wheel wont move

I have a craftsmen's 22 hp. When I went to mow yesterday I notice when I turn my wheels the right front wheel would not turn. (right wheel when sitting on mower) I finally oil and hit with rubber hammer and it will turn to the right but when you turn the steering wheel that one tire stays to the right. it was working find last fall so could someone tell me what to try?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-10, 06:50 PM
the steering wheel normally operates the left front tire, there is a tie-rod from the left front wheel to the right front wheel whereby they both turn at the same time in the same direction.

You're implying the left front wheel operates but the right one doesn't ??

what did you oil ??

what's the model no. of this unit?

Old 04-01-10, 07:13 PM
Yes it's the right wheel. When I turn the steering wheel to the left the right tire does not turn to the left. When I turn the steering wheel to the right both wheels will turn right but the right tire stays to the right. I had to hit the wheel with a rubber hammer to get the tire to go back straight. Took the tie rod off it has a bent it in but even with that off the right wheel still didn't want to move so I put grease around the wheel hub thinking it may have been frozen up. I don't know if the tie rod is suppose to have a bend it. model # 917.272860

Old 04-01-10, 07:52 PM
Here's the schematic of the steering ass'y

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...0301249&blt=06

might be able to trace the problem,,,,,
hope this helps,
thanks,

Old 04-02-10, 09:36 AM
So this is what we have tried.. My husband got the tie-rod straight. When he put it back on and turn the steering wheel the tie-rod bent again. What would be causing this? we just don't know what to look at first with the steering.

Old 04-02-10, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by star82397 View Post
So this is what we have tried.. My husband got the tie-rod straight. When he put it back on and turn the steering wheel the tie-rod bent again. What would be causing this? we just don't know what to look at first with the steering.
When you had the tie rod off, did you try turning the wheel by hand? If not, jack up the front of the tractor, remove the tie rod from the tire end and try to turn the wheel. Sounds like the spindle may be rusted inside. If so, you need to take off the "E" clip on top, remove the spindle, clean the rust off the spindle and as much as you can from the inside of the spindle housing, then grease the spindle before re installing.

Old 04-02-10, 10:07 AM
We think that is what the problem is. Have it jacked up. The wheel will not turn took the clip off but can't get the spindle off. trying right now to hit from top with rubber hammer. Any ideas what might help us get the spindle off?

Old 04-02-10, 10:15 AM
We think that is what the problem is. Have it jacked up. The wheel will not turn took the clip off but can't get the spindle off. trying right now to hit from top with rubber hammer. Any ideas what might help us get the spindle off?
Spray the hell out of it with a good penetrating oil. You may need something heavier than a rubber mallet. Have someone hold a piece of 2x4 on the spindle while someone else hits it with a sledge hammer.

Old 04-02-10, 10:23 AM
ok will try that we just thought doing that would mess up the bearing.The diagram shows it has bearings anyway. Should it be hit from the top where the c clip came off?

Old 04-02-10, 11:16 AM
ok will try that we just thought doing that would mess up the bearing.The diagram shows it has bearings anyway. Should it be hit from the top where the c clip came off?
Yes, hit it from the top where you took off the "E" clip. There are no bearings there. Just a couple of thrust wahsers. Also, if you have the tools, you might want to drill & tap the housing and install a grease fitting so you can grease it to prevent this from happening again. You need a drill and a tap and the grease fitting. You can buy those at any auto parts store.

Old 04-02-10, 12:25 PM
thanks that was our problem. we are now up and mowing.

Old 04-02-10, 02:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I've heard suggestions that it's a good practice to grease the wheels on lawn tractors in the fall to avoid having them seize up, and to over pressurize the tires somewhat as well to mi minimize the likelihood that they will go flat.

Old 04-02-10, 03:40 PM
thanks that was our problem. we are now up and mowing.
Glad that you got it fixed.

Search this Thread