Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

JD X300 shredding mower belts

NJ

04-02-10, 06:52 AM   #1  
JD X300 shredding mower belts

I put a new John Deere brand mower belt on last year. I checked the belt yesterday and it is shredded again. The funny thing is that it is shredded in only one spot. These belts are $50. I hate to just put another belt on without finding the problem. What should I look for ??

Sponsored Links

IA

04-02-10, 07:20 AM   #2  
You may have a bearing on an idler or spindle locking up or there is something affecting the belt tension.

The reason it's shredding in one spot is the belt can't drive past the lockup, sits one place while the motor tries to move it, then it lets go.

The damage to the belt is occurring at the engine pulley.

Pull off the belt, spin all the spindle and idler pulleys - look for rough places there as well as debris and build up under the deck. Then double check the belt tension/tensioner. I'm sure you'll find something in one of those areas.

AL

04-02-10, 07:26 AM   #3  
Could you better describe what you call "shredded"? I have found that when a belt goes around an idler pulley, with the flat side of the belt against the pulley, the "V' in the belt will split and that starts the breakdown. I have, somewhat, slowed this occurance down by periodically turning the belt so that it is not rested in this same position for a long length of time, like winter storage.
I do not know the belt setup you have but I feel it is worth mentioning.
Another thing to look for is a defective pully.
Belt system design also plays a major roll in service life.

NJ

04-02-10, 07:59 AM   #4  
Posted By: Giles Could you better describe what you call "shredded"? I have found that when a belt goes around an idler pulley, with the flat side of the belt against the pulley, the "V' in the belt will split and that starts the breakdown. I have, somewhat, slowed this occurance down by periodically turning the belt so that it is not rested in this same position for a long length of time, like winter storage.
I do not know the belt setup you have but I feel it is worth mentioning.
Another thing to look for is a defective pully.
Belt system design also plays a major roll in service life.
The v part of the belt does not seem to be splitting. The outer part of the belt is separating and is ragged.

AL

04-02-10, 08:45 AM   #5  
Posted By: jl66redcpe The v part of the belt does not seem to be splitting. The outer part of the belt is separating and is ragged.
I would do a close inspection of the bearings and pulleys to determine what is apparently stopping the belt. Guards and guides should also be inspected. This doesn't sound like the normal belt failure because if a bearing locks up, the belt would normally be damaged in the "V" by the drive pulley.

IA

04-02-10, 08:55 AM   #6  
Yup, that description would indicate an alignment of pulley problem or something laying against the belt, like a shroud.

I thought we were talking about one place in the run of the belt.

NJ

04-02-10, 09:14 AM   #7  
I think the statement about the belt getting shred on the engine pulley makes sense. In my last post I was really trying to say that the v part of the belt is not splitting.

IA

04-02-10, 09:23 AM   #8  
It would still come down to alignment or maybe a pulley that was damaged on that side. I say this assuming the fraying of the belt is on one side and down the entire length of the belt.

The misalignment could be coming from something bent or a bearing out.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

WA

04-02-10, 10:24 AM   #9  
Make sure that all the pulleys turn freely and aren't seized up.

NJ

04-04-10, 05:01 AM   #10  
Well I think I found the problem. The mower leveling stud on the passenger side is hitting the belt. The passenger side of the deck is much higher than the driver side. The bottom of the threads are black from the belt rubbing. I had searched the forum previous and found another JD X300 owner had the same problem however I assumed that could not happen to me. I will try adjusting the deck per the manual and see what happens. All the pulleys seem to turn fine with no apparent bearing problems. In one of the past posts on this problem somone said JD had a service bulletin out on this subject. I will check on that as well.

Thanks for the help to everyone that posted a response.

NJ

04-06-10, 07:11 AM   #11  
Well I called the local JD dealer looking for a service bulletin on the problem and lo and behold they said the service bulletin said to cut 1/2 inch off the deck leveling bolt.

Search this Thread
LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.doityourself.com/forum/outdoor-gasoline-electric-powered-equipment-small-engines/421890-jd-x300-shredding-mower-belts.html
Posted By For Type Date
X300 shredding belts This thread Refback 09-03-17 04:32 AM